Rethinking set-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brineyone

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After doing a lot more research on this forum and in books I am rethinking my set up. My LFS told me my 15 gallon bow-front tank with a hang-over-the-back penguin power 150 filter and a heater (50W I think) would be fine.

I put 20 lbs of sand in the tank and a large ornament (am considering replacing ornament, but DH LOVES it so it is a touchy subject...).

In reading everyone's posts, I am concerned that even with weekly water changes, I will need more filtration. My overall plan is to have a few clownfish and maybe a few damsels. I have no ambition for coral in this tank.

My question is what type of filters do most nano set-ups have? Is everyone using a canister/sump type to increase the effective volume of their tanks? I also haven't added any powerheads into my tank. The top of the water ripples with the water return from the over-the-side filter, but do I need more water movement? The heater seems to keep the tank at a steady 85 degrees for now so I think that is fine.

I'm still cycling my tank, so I feel like the time to make changes is now!

Thanks for all your help!!

Hmm...

15g tank = 1-3 small fish. Not a few clowns and a few damsels. That would be bio-overload.

I would suggest getting about 20lbs of LR and use the HOB for carbon. The LR will filter the water and the carbon will help out as well. Small tanks are more difficult to keep because they have the tendency to more swings in temp and sg. You will need to make sure to top off daily to keep the sg from going too high. I would suggest weekly PWCs for sure and 2 a week wouldn't hurt at least until it gets more established.

Bottom line though is live rock for filtration and use the HOB for some flow and carbon as needed. On my 5g nano I have a HOB full of LR rubble but all the rock and sand were established already.

Welcome aboard fellow Virginian. I agree with Allen that you need some LR and I usually say a skimmer but for that size tank just weekly PWC`s will be good enough. LR is really needed for good bio filtration.

Both of your suggestions are helpful. I have put LR rubble in my HOB from the LFS and 5 lbs LR in the tank. Am waiting for 20 more lbs from online. I think the tank has finished cyling with Nitrites, and ammonia both at zero. I did a PWC and Nitrates also at zero. I just got 2 Koralia powerheads and my T5HO lights today so I will be adding them.

I have just started researching livestock for the tank. Will likely get a clown since we all like them. Was also looking at Blennies. Won't be adding anything for a while so have plenty of time...

If you said waiting from online I think that will be cycled separately from the main tank right? Cause usually from online the LR will be dry.

I would not add any livestock until you have all your rock in the tank and can test to make sure you don't see a small cycle from adding the rock that was shipped.

Since I wasn't planning on adding anything live to the tank until the end of March, I figured I would put the new LR in the tank and let it mini-cycle again.

Thanks for all the advice!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom