return of the TANNINS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobc4d

Aquarium Advice Freak
I purchased a piece of driftwood from PetCo 8 months ago. At first it put off a lot of tannins, then over time it reduced the output to almost nothing. This past week the tannins have returned with a vengeance. The tap water parameters have not changed nor has the tank parameters.

is this normal or is the driftwood starting to break down? it is in a 10g tank, about 6 inches long and 4 across.

Driftwood Tannins

I purchased a piece of driftwood from PetCo 8 months ago. At first it put off a lot of tannins, then over time it reduced the output to almost nothing. This past week the tannins have returned with a vengeance. The tap water parameters have not changed nor has the tank parameters.

is this normal or is the driftwood starting to break down? it is in a 10g tank, about 6 inches long and 4 across.

Hello bob...

Some pieces of driftwood are very dense and yours is likely still soaking up water and possibly cracked, releasing tannic acid. In a small tank, just a little is noticeable. Change half the water every week and eventually, the tannins will leach out.

B

Agreed with above but you can also add carbon or my preference Purgen to your filters if it tannins are too heavy.

Back
Top Bottom