Return to the hobby - goof while cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulkem

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was once a fairly experienced fishkeeper who has recently returned to the hobby after a 7 year hiatus (after some sweet talking by my 6 year old daughter).

About a month ago we bought a 16 gallon kit from PetSmart. We set it up one night, and then the next afternoon, went back for some starter fish (8 zebra danios). I was able to get some seasoned water from the store as well. I treat the water with Aqueon water conditioner and API StressZyme.

We test the water every few days. We were able to see the ammonia spike, and then it dropped out and the nitrites started to peak, and then came the nitrates. After a week or two, we are still peaked pretty high on nitrites and nitrates (2.0 ppm and 80 ppm, respectively). I had in my head that you should not do water changes during the cycle. I have added water after the level drops from evaporation, but have not changed any. I cannot believe that we have only lost two fish (which have been replaced)

After doing some reading, some people do suggest changing 10% every couple of days during this tough time. So this evening, I did.

Are we on track now? Should I keep changing about 10% every couple of days?

PK

Last edited by a moderator:
I am new at this but from what I understand, you need to keep testing you water every day since you didn't cycle the tank without the fish and do a 25% water change every couple of days. It will take longer to cycle with the fish in the tank since you will have to treat the water to protect the fish. In my case, I have had low PH which has prevented the cycling to develop so be sure to test you PH as well.

Hello Paul and welcome to AA and back to the hobby! Well, Zebra Danios are known to be a hardy fish and are often used in fish-in cycling. Although they are hardy and can withstand some less than desirable water conditions, they are not invisible. You, unfortunately, stocked way too many at once in an uncycled tank. Further, Zebra Danios are very active swimmers and it would have been best to get them in a 20g or larger tank. You can stay the course with them but don't add any more fish until you're cycled. You should also monitor your water parameters closely and do 25 to 50% partial water changes when the ammonia and nitrites spike.

What water test are you using? A lot of the ones in the market are inaccurate, especially the strips. I highly recommend using the API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

Another thing, you shouldn't used "seasoned" water from a petstore or any media for that matter from their display tanks. The LFS gets so much turnover on the fish they get and sell, there's bound to be a lot of fish disease and other nasty little parasites you can be inadvertently introduce to your tank. Prevention is the best cure....trust me, it's a headache when you have to get rid of ich or example.

You can, however, use a product called Tetra Safe Start if you want to expedite the cycle process. Since you already have an ammonia source (your fish), the beneficial bacteria introduced by TSS will get your tank cycled quickly IMO. I think since you already have the fish, in which two died already.. you should do that ASAP and continue to do PWC's meantime to keep things safe.

Back
Top Bottom