Reusing biofilter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbooker

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently acquired a sump for my aquarium which came with a large amount of bio media in bags. I'm assuming most of the bacteria will have died off by now, but I'd still like to reuse the media rather than purchase a bunch of new stuff. I'm still planning on cycling and will be seeding with media from an already running tank.

Is this recommended? I'll be doing a few large water changes before adding fish.

If you are certain that the previous owner of the sump / Bio media was a skilled fish keeper and he didn't nuke the tank with some type of toxic meds prior to shutting it down, I would say it's okay to reuse.
When I change out a tank, I keep most of the innerworkings and recycle it for later use.

I have used old media of my own with out issue...
May just want to bleach it or find some way to 'sterilize' it if you are going to set up new anyways?

I would not bleach it. The media is the heart that keeps the tank ticking. I'd wash it in hot water. And get new pads for it. The bacteria from the old owner just cut your cycle time in half. Use it! And alot less ups and downs. I got mine with my tank I washed it all in hot water and got new pads. Tank and media was green as grass. Pretty bad! After watching it all up It made life so much easier. And like V227 says too, Unless the old owner nuked it. But I'd just wash it up and see what your tests come out as.

I'm not worried about the old owner using strong meds or anything like that. I had a chance to see the tank before it was taken apart and the fish removed. Everything looked healthy, and she seemed to know how to care for her fish fairly well.

I don't think I'll bleach it, I'm worried I wouldn't be able to rinse it all perfectly afterwards. I've rinsed it all very well, and I'm going to add some carbon to my sump for a few days after I get a nice cycle going to remove anything that might be left. I imagine that the month or so it takes to get my cycle running well should be lots of time to clear anything that might be left in the media.

you should never BLEACH any tank equipment or media! If anything jist add white vinegar as its a natural neutraliser

Back
Top Bottom