reverse osmosis water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok. i was wondering because i have a PUR water purifier on my sink, but i didn't think it used the RO process to purify it, but i was gonna use it when i try to hatch my ram eggs. i need this because i'm quite positive our water here is rock solid (due to the fact that there's a quarry nearby and limestone everywhere in this area)

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure those facuet things on your tap are nothing more than a carbon filter. Basically like a 1 stage RO system. It'll remove large hard minerals and such, but not really "purify" your water. You can simply test the pH to see how it varies from with or without the system.

HTH

well, aside from them having the most useless site for information in the world.. it would appear it is carbon as said above. the "3 stage" (which they only list 2 stages BTW) also contains some resin to remove some lead.

The first stage which they make no mention of is probably a 50 micron filter. get's rid of particulate but not anywhere near RO quality. (RO is under 5 micron.)
What are the filters made of?
Answer The faucet mount, countertop, and undersink cartridges are made of carbon and an active agent to remove lead. The carbon and active agent are bound in a block form. The new 2 and 3 Stage filters for Faucet Mount units also have a sediment wrap around the carbon where larger particles are removed.

Well, the term "Reverse Osmosis" is pretty basic and covers any filter..

Osmosis - Absorption through a cell or membrane.

the opposite of that would be - Force through a cell or membrane..

the question is, how fine a membrane is required for water purification, 1 micron, 5 micron..

R/O systems use a membrane to separate the impurities from the water, cost a lot of money to start with, and the membranes are expensive to replace. For a small aquarium, buying distilled water is more practical, or possibly collecting rainwater, if you don't have acid rain.

hmmm...what would guys suggest i do if i just want to get good soft water for my 10 gallon tank (for breeding rams)? the water i have around here is rock hard and i don't really feel i should get a RO filter for my sink (too much $$$)

For a small aquarium, buying distilled water is more practical, or possibly collecting rainwater, if you don't have acid rain.
Just check your hardness to start with, then dilute it w/distilled or rain water until you get ac acceptable mix. Distilled water contains no minerals, and is as soft as water ever is.

Back
Top Bottom