Ring of Pine Tar!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well i was cleaning/rummaging through my new classroom, getting ready for the fast approaching new school year. like has always been my experience when take on a new teaching job, i get stuck cleaning up the previous teacher's crap. well in a cupboard under the sink i found a 10 gallon. WOO HOO! i thought. one problem, it has a ring of pine tar spread about 2 inches from the top of the tank, and it is 2 inches in width. my only though is the previous teacher must have used the tank for some critter, and as it has no cover, the pine tar was used to deter the critter climbing out :?

so how can i get it off, or is it hopeless that i will ever get it safe for fish again :(

Turpentine probably about $5...time spent on cleaning out the tank...hour if you are lucky...I'd suggest buying a NEW 10 gallon tank for $8-10 at Petsmart.

Yea, the $10 tank is probobly a quicker and more cost effective way, unless you just want a challenge!

I think if this was 55 or something I would try to clean it off. It does seem that a new tank is in order for the cost of a 10 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom