Rinse live sand? is that a good idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shattrd3

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just purchased a second hand tank and it came with sand. Should I rinse out the sand before I replace it back into the aquarium or just clean the tank and put back the sand without cleaning it? Would it be considered live if its just been sitting there?

I'm in the same boat as you. I have been given a tank that has been dry for almost a year. The rock and sand is dried out. Is it still useable?

If the sand has been laying around for a year I would rinse it because it is no longer live sand so it shouldn't matter

Would a year necessarily have to be the cut off point? Lets say that the tank has been sitting for less than a month?

If the sand remained wet its probably ok then I don't think I would rinse it if it was dry for a month then I would

Was the tank covered if not I'd rinse it . It with become live again anyway one you tank is established

Looks like rinsing it is, Thank you guys. No the hood was off when I went to buy it.

Even if it's wet (still live bacteria in it) I would rinse it first.
Briefly rinsing the sand in freshwater will NOT kill off all the beneficial bacteria (unless the water is heavily chlorinated.)

But the sand is likely FULL of microscopic dead matter and nutrients that would be better gotten rid of. This will help to reduce many of the initial algae blooms that every new tank goes through. (It won't eliminate them, but will help to reduce their duration.)

Back
Top Bottom