Ripped off!! RCS Prices?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big-j

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok I just don't understand.. Are red cherry shrimp that hard to find?!?! It cost me $2.99 per shrimp!! Someone please tell me what they are actually worth

I see them online all the time for around a $1/shrimp. I'd say you paid about $1.99 too much!

I also moved this to the Freshwater - General Discussion.

See that's what I thought, I only got three but it cost me ten bucks!! How quickly do they breed also? I hope it's pretty quick cause I want more than three :(

I think it really depends on where you are located. RCS in my area go for $4.99...so if you think $3 is bad, try having to pay $5!

Pretty fast..I started with just 5 or so two months ago in my 20 gal and now have them swimming all over. Just make sure you have a male; they seem harder to find. Males are almost colorless while the females have the bright red color.

Idk if you can tell anything, pic from my phone lol, but they are only a quarter to half an inch long and all seem fairly colorless with just a red orange stripe down their backs, I'm worried about putting them in the ten gallon with my betta, 5 corydoras, and 8 neon tetras think it'll be ok?

Attachments

• image-2751665399.jpg
    image-2751665399.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 107
Well, if they are young...they may not have a whole of color yet. Look on their backs for saddle(where their eggs develope); that will help clue you in if they are female.

As far as their safety with the betta and neons? Fish will often eat anything that fits in their mouths. That being said, I have rose danios in with my RCS and I've seen them swim right up to a shrimplet and swallow it. However, they pretty much leave the grown shrimp alone. RCS are prolific breeders, so as long as you have some hiding places for them, you should be fine!

Idk if you can tell anything, pic from my phone lol, but they are only a quarter to half an inch long and all seem fairly colorless with just a red orange stripe down their backs, I'm worried about putting them in the ten gallon with my betta, 5 corydoras, and 8 neon tetras think it'll be ok?

Most bettas will eat shrimp. Even if he leaves the big ones alone he'll def pluck off any babies. I do see them sold a few bucks per shrimp some places, but they are such prolific breeders you can always get a big group of them on ebay or aquabid for about $1 per shrimp including shipping.

Do you have somewhere else to put them? I wouldn't put them with the betta unless you have to...or at least test him with some cheap ghost shrimp first..

i buy my shrimp (use to) from plantedtank.net there usually a guy selling them for 20 / 25 dollars

I'll test with some ghosts first I ain't putting three dollar shrimp in just to be eaten

What would the saddle look like? All three look very similar to me right now

The light spot in the middle of their backs is their "saddle". When full of eggs it might be yellow or green depending on the color of the eggs.

Cherry+Shrimp+8.jpg

I get $1 a piece through Craigslist for mine. The only time I've seen them in the LFS, they were $4.99 a piece. That was a couple years ago.

Back
Top Bottom