river sand / gravel in aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

praedld

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am getting ready to start up a 55 gal aquarium. would it be possible to use the sand and gravel from my local river bank?; and if yes how would one treat it before using. we have a nice mix of agate jasper, chert and rounded sand. Thanks and please let me know if I am delusional. It is not a money thing, I just like the idea of having a bit of the river in my home.

Rick

Not sure where you live but its illegal to take from the river like that in the us. It could also contain pollutants and other nasties from the river. If you want a piece of the river I would say use a few rocks that you wash thoroughly and call it good.

I agree with mebbid, all you need is a park ranger rolling up on you and slapping a fine on your bucket.. Also the risk of unleashing some of mother natures cultured fury in your home aquarium is not worth the 15-25$ on substrate.. A 50 lb bag of play sand mixed with a 40lb bag of pool filter sand.. $12 for a great looking substrate..

Hey bud.. Let's continue the conversation in the forumn.. That stock list sounds like a good start.. What do you want to see on the bottom? Fine sand? Coarse sand? Small gravel?

I have used sand/gravel from lake Ontario. Whether it is legal where you are I can't say. All I did was bleach it well, sifted for the size I wanted and used it.

Back
Top Bottom