RIVERCATS 220G Transformation Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The CO2 adventure is coming along. I almost have the right green color in the drop checker. Tomorrow I should have it dialed in. So plants are pearling but that is after I upped the bps. It's not as complicated as I figured it would be.

The only time I got pearling was after my weekly 50% WC while the tank was on Glut. Most of the plants would pearl for 3 or so hours afterwards.

Yeah it seems the only time the plants pearl using glut is right after a big water change! Must be nice to see it more often with the CO2.

I don't know about that as I'm having trouble adjusting to the bubbles in the water.

I don't know about that as I'm having trouble adjusting to the bubbles in the water.

It's alway something with you :)

Nice transition to pressurized CO2. You were the queen of glut (Glutaraldehyde). I bet the stock prices for Metrex (makers of Metricide) start to drop now lol

Nice transition to pressurized CO2. You were the queen of glut (Glutaraldehyde). I bet the stock prices for Metrex (makers of Metricide) start to drop now lol

Haha right 9oz a day. That's just over a cup. LoL

I'm still using 3 ounces a day in the 220 and I do have other tanks I use it in. This is the only tank that's doing CO2 and had I not decided to add more lights, which I am really happy I did, I wouldn't have had to go CO2. I'm still the biggest fan of Glut! The one thing I'm having a hard time with is seeing all the bubbles in my tank!

Might have to find a different way to dissolve the co2. Bubbles = wasted co2 from what I understand.

If the co2 bubbles flying all around the tank bothers you, perhaps the external cerges reactor that aqua_chem suggested should help with the dissolution before it hits the tank.

If the co2 bubbles flying all around the tank bothers you, perhaps the external cerges reactor that aqua_chem suggested should help with the dissolution before it hits the tank.

I'm what 3 days into CO2 and now your throwing reactor at me... :eek:! Let's at least let me get through the first week... lol!

Do you have bubbles in your tank? I'm not used to the bubbles and the pearling. Others say you don't even notice it after awhile. I just need to get there.

Haha... I jumped the gun didn't I? Oops! :facepalm:

Yeah I have them too... I don't mind it since that's how I started. However, I'm sure you got used to looking at your beautiful tank w/out the bubbles everywhere that's why it's understandable if you want to preserve that. I've never tried the reactor route, but in that description from about claiming 100% dissolution sounds like it would solve the bubbles distracting you if you don't get used to it.

I believe the link was this one mentioned earlier:
https://www.aquariumplants.com/CarbonDoser_EXT5000_External_Reactor_50000_p/ext5000.htm

I'm still using 3 ounces a day in the 220 and I do have other tanks I use it in. This is the only tank that's doing CO2 and had I not decided to add more lights, which I am really happy I did, I wouldn't have had to go CO2. I'm still the biggest fan of Glut! The one thing I'm having a hard time with is seeing all the bubbles in my tank!

I personally like the fine mist of co2 bubbles in my tank. I'd like to go back to using the powerhead as a diffuser like I started with I'm not a big fan of the glass diffuser it seems to waste a lot but I don't want it to destroy my plants. LoL

I think I just about have the CO2 dialed in. Another day or two will tell.

Now here's a good question... I am noticing even more color in some of the plants BUT I wonder is it from the CO2 or the new lights? Or a combination of both. The Ludwigia sp Atlantis is wild looking. I'm going to get a picture in a few days. It's orange, dark bright orange. Am waiting to see if it changes into the red orange range of if it's going to stay like this. This plant and the Ludwigia sp Pantanal Red are the most intensely bright colored plants I've ever seen.

The only bad thing is I have to have an electrician come and split the aquarium outlets into two of their own breakers. I have to have a heavy duty extension cord run from the sunroom into a plug in the house to use the new LED's.

I think I just about have the CO2 dialed in. Another day or two will tell.

Now here's a good question... I am noticing even more color in some of the plants BUT I wonder is it from the CO2 or the new lights? Or a combination of both. The Ludwigia sp Atlantis is wild looking. I'm going to get a picture in a few days. It's orange, dark bright orange. Am waiting to see if it changes into the red orange range of if it's going to stay like this. This plant and the Ludwigia sp Pantanal Red are the most intensely bright colored plants I've ever seen.

The only bad thing is I have to have an electrician come and split the aquarium outlets into two of their own breakers. I have to have a heavy duty extension cord run from the sunroom into a plug in the house to use the new LED's.

That's cool can't wait to see a picture of it. I like plants with a lot of color vs the plain boring green color.

I love color with a touch of green as my accent color... lol! I am really glad I invested in these less commonly seen plants. Just like the Ludwigia sp Tornado. It isn't brightly colored but the way each leaf twists it catches the light and really stands out.

I love color with a touch of green as my accent color... lol! I am really glad I invested in these less commonly seen plants. Just like the Ludwigia sp Tornado. It isn't brightly colored but the way each leaf twists it catches the light and really stands out.

Cant wait to see.

Yes I know what you mean. That's exactly how I feel about it. Lots of color then some green to brighten it up. I also love plants (things in general) that are uncommon or rare

I have flowers! This morning when I went to feed I see what looks like tiny trumpet shaped red flowers laying around the tank. I'm thinking... what? So I look closer and found 1 left still on the Diandra and a yo-yo doing it ****est to eat it or pull it off. Honestly he looked like he was trying to eat it but we are talking about a loach so who knows for sure. Anyway I looked really close at the Diandra stems and see some tiny little barely red bumps on the stems right at the leaf and stem joints. I never knew they flowered underwater for starters and can't believe I didn't even get to see them except for one since I'm assuming the loach/s plucked them all off before I came out. If more open I'm going to try to get pic's as they look like tiny trumpet flowers and are bright red.

I also really need to trim the Ludwigia sp 'Atlantis'. It is a larger leaf Ludwigia that is bright red orange under high light. PM me if anyone is interested.

Back
Top Bottom