RO and salt with a pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayson9253

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have used, in the past, RO water with about 1tbs of salt for my tank. my RO is after my softener and I know the water is fairly aggressive and I don't want to leach the fish. But my tap has 20 ppm nitrates. I've heard recently that plecos don't like salt. Since I've gone to the 45g tank he seems much happier and actually comes out more. But I filled the 45 with tap because it would have taken my RO three days to fill it. Should I stay with the tap or go back to rO and salt? Thanks

If you stick with RO then use a mineral additive like 'Replenish' or 'RO-Rite' not salt.

Avoid Salt. You can use a mix of Tap and RO if needed as well. But if straight RO then use a product to add trace minerals back in, as the other person recommended.

Many RO water mixes contain sodium in addition to other minerals. Just be aware if you are trying to limit the salt content of your water.

Thank you guys for your help. I was thinking of doing a 50-50 mixture And then adding some java moss balls to help keep the nitrate down. I've just never used live plants before so I think I'm in for an adventure

Back
Top Bottom