Ro di filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jereli

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I purchased a RQ-5B-100 which is a 5 stage filter that flows in this direction...sediment filter, coconut carbon block, coconut carbon block, ro membrane, and out the di filter. from purewaterclub.com my question is... I want to drink out of this unit so if I add a carbon activated filter from home depot where do I place this filter?

according to purewater club and the unit I bought the extra charcoal should go after the DI to remove any unpleasant taste. That is just what the instructions said with the unit I bought. (portable 100gal per day) Hope that helps.

Yea thats kinda of what I had in mind.. The thing is that on their website I see a couple different configurations... the reef/drinking water ones have two outputs one from the DI and one after the Activated carbon. Which is why I was wondering why some have two outputs and some have only one. Not sure if I should run the activated carbon one in series with the dionized and if I should split it and have two outputs

not really sure but it may be set up so you could use the RO/DI outlet for your tank and the Carbon outlet for drinking. So both could possibly run at the same time. Just a thought but not sure really.

Yea..i dont know I guess ill just have to keep doing some research on whether I should run them inline or parallel with each other

If you want drinking water from the system, don't first run the water through the DI! I would have to think twice about anyone who provided that advice.

If you'll PM us your email we can email you the plumbing diagram to our Reef/Residential Series system if you want to have your drinking water stored in a pressurized storage tank, or to our Premium Series RODI is you just want a valve where you can access drinking water to for instance fill a jug for the refrigerator.

Russ

I just sent you my email. what is the reasons not going through the DI first a then through the drinking water filter?

The general approach is to use the combination of filters that will adequately treat the incoming water, and give you a good service life at a reasonable cost.

Ro water is what you want to drink - not DI water. DI water is nearly pure h20, and it doesn't taste good. You need some minerals in the water to make it taste good.

So - why run your drinking water through DI resin to strip out all the ions (which costs you money), and then run it through GAC (which also costs you money) to add ions back in? Simply bypass the DI entirely and drink the RO water.

Remember that the RODI systems we all use for reef tanks like this

img_1580204_0_c040b71bf0153a3d983a2a3617464cf1.jpg

evolved from residential drinking water RO's like this:

img_1580204_1_b77b4cd3da1e88ca475b797df0bab2fb.gif

So the technology (RO) to make great drinking water has been around for years and years, and it doesn't involve mixed bed DI filters.

Again - I would really question any water treatment professional who provided the recommendation you rec'd.

Russ

Thanks alot. This is all making alot of sense now. The diagrams are great too. I now know alot more about these systems then I did before.

Back
Top Bottom