RO/DI filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am investigating whether or not it would be a wise economical decision to just buy carbon and resin in place of my carbon blocks and DI resin blocks..does anyone do this instead of just buying the replacements cartidges?
There is a couple of people that use AWI.com for their replacement filters and they are very cheap in comparison to other sites. However this same webiste has "blank" cartidges for just replacing the contents such as carbon and resin. ANyone else do this and if so where do you buy yours?
Thanks

I use the refillable resin and it works great. IMO it's cheaper to buy the carbon cartridges instead of filling them. Good quality carbon is not that cheap and it will cost about the same as buying a cartridge. I buy my carbon and micron filters from HD or Lowes and they work well

Yeah seaham I remember chatting with you but couldnt remember if you did the carbon or not too. I think Im going to buy a refillable catridge and do like you do and refill myself. I actually found some sediment and carbon filters (5-10 micron) filters at Sams Wholesale for $28. You get 4 carbon blocks and 2 sediments and 1 inline filter. Not to bad.

I have been pricing both of theses filter setups. I emailed several places that sell them getting quotes for 10 sets of the first 3 sediment filters and 5 sets of the last 3. I actually got a cheaper quote from a guy with the none refillable DI filters. I have not ordered yet so if anyone knows were a good price is please let me know.

this may be a stupid question, but does this resin fit in any ro/di? i am getting an ro/di in the next couple of weeks and i just wnat to make sure that i can afford to replace the filter media.

thank you. i just wanted to make sure i could do it. i have my taxes coming, so i wanted to make sure there was life after that, lol. thank you. im pretty sure that i can do it.

Yeah thats the reason Im always looking to find a better website to order from. This hobby is very expensive at times!
Chk with your Sams, Lowes, Home Depot for the sediment filters and carbon blocks. Seaham buys his/hers from there. I buy mine from Sams Wholesale.
Now I am going to buy the resin from the prev mentioned website.

What kind are you getting VSN. Getting one here also. Thinking about the Maxxima by kent.

How much is the kent? IMO unless the prices have come down from when I looked at them your just paying for the name. AWI has great units and ebay has some real nice ones also for a lot cheaper. There really is not much to one of these things, so they are more or less the same thing. As long as you get a good membrane the other filters are cheap to change out if you don't like them.

Back
Top Bottom