RO water and dirt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxw47

Aquarium Advice FINatic
! I am wondering if I could have a dirt substrate with RO water. The reason I am using RO water is because our house has a sodium water softener and plants/fish do not like it whatsoever. I also end up getting algae with that water. So what I do now is use 100% RO with equilibrium, that's it. It's worked fine so far. This is with soft water species. If I ever get African cichlids I will use aragonite sand or what not to buffer and bring that gh, ph, etc up. But anyways, I want to dirt one of my tanks, but I'm afraid that the gasses and what not from the soil will affect the water and cause a pH drop or something like that. So what do you guys think?

Dirt from where? That sounds like a dangerous idea cause you cant really clean and sterilize dirt...I would be afraid of introducing all kinds of bacteria into my tank.

If you dirt a tank you need to use Organic Potting Soil. Many use the Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil/mix but there are others that can be used as long as they say Organic Potting soil.

As long as your reconstituting your RO water it makes no difference if you use dirt or not. My largest dirted tank right now is a 220g.

Alright. Would seachem's equilibrium be enough for that? I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the greatest buffering qualities, and that's why I am a little worried about the CO2 and what not coming from the soil, especially in the first week or two.

Oh and the dirt would be the miracle grow organic choice

Yeah you have to cap it with gravel to keep it from going all over the place, but yeah supposedly plants love it!

Alright. Would seachem's equilibrium be enough for that? I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the greatest buffering qualities, and that's why I am a little worried about the CO2 and what not coming from the soil, especially in the first week or two.

Oh and the dirt would be the miracle grow organic choice

If your using it correctly then it should be fine. You need to get a Kh and Gh test kit to keep track of them. If Kh falls too much you can always add more buffer to the water between weekly WC's or you can add crushed coral to the filter or in a filter bag under the filter outflow. The organic soil leaches tannins and nutrients during the first few weeks and honestly won't effect your tanks buffering capacity especially in a smaller tank where your not going to be using a lot of the soil.

Alright thanks. Ill try it out on a ten gallon and see how it works out. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom