RO water for freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dutchz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello I have well water ph is high and nitrates are 40. I have a ro system for drinking can I use it for a fresh water tank. Do I have to add anything to give them minerals?

Last edited by a moderator:
If your gonna use RO water then yes you will need to pick up a freshwater buffer which will add back the needed minerals.

What fish are you keeping? Seachem makes some good stuff but I don't use Ro/Di on my FW only SW so I don't have much experience in FW buffers.

i will be kepping/breeeding angel fish. and i will be buying from doctors foster and smith. please suggest one to use that doctors fostors and smith sells.

please explain more i understand verry little about these products. about how much should i use for 55 gallon tank with 60 lbs of gravel.

This is where you will need to speak to one of the discus/angel fish breeders on the site. This is as far as my knowledge on freshwater buffers can take you, sorry. I am more into the reefing side of the hobby :)

you will also need to use kent marine r/o right

This is where you will need to speak to one of the discus/angel fish breeders on the site. This is as far as my knowledge on freshwater buffers can take you, sorry. I am more into the reefing side of the hobby :)
thank you verry much for all your help. what kind of fish do you have in your reefs?

thank you verry much for all your help. what kind of fish do you have in your reefs?

I only have three fish for SW. My GFs clown pair and my rainfords goby but I'm not in it for the fish I do it for the coral. I just bought 2- 4'x2'x8" frag tanks to help eleviate my 46 since I'm close to 200 pieces in it. I grow and sell coral and I'm in the process of setting up a aquaculture facility. With a couple investors. Here's the home project. (11' of tank all together lmao)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130128_124507.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130128_124507.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 61
omg! you are verry smart to do that. are oceans can not support all are coral needs. and if i got into sw i would be fowlr. i just really like the fish. even in fw i have even killed all my duck weed. but my nitrates were 80 ppm beacuse my tap is verry high. about how much have you invested? just might get into sw.

I'm close to $4k into it but that includes bad and pointless purchases which is to be expected in SW lol. When I go sit down with my main backer ill be looking for around $20k to get the ball rolling but this will be a VERY large system. Probably gonna be around 2-3 thousand gallons in all

wow i have about 1k in it that in that includes the pointless purchases too. darn petco employes say you need it but do really?

Ya I've noticed the stuff they "reccomend" is usually the last thing you need if it isn't completely pointless lol lfs employees don't like me cause I'm not one to sit back and watch them screw people over sending em out the door with a fish bowl and a couple Oscars (yes real situation-2.5 gallon bowl for 3 tiger Oscars..what a joke)

omg they can barely live in a 55 for a few years. thts 22 times the size of a 2.5.

Breeding angelfish should be kept at a pH between 6.5 & 6.9. If you are starting with pure RO water, using Seachem Acid Buffer and Seachem Alkaline Buffer in specific proportions (instructions on label) you can achieve a stable target pH. You will also want to add minerals to your water to increase GH as you need to have a GH of at least equal to the KH of your water. Seachem Equilibrium is a mineral additive to reconstitute RO water with Magnesium, Calcium, Potassium, Manganese and Iron. It is designed for the planted tank as it contains no sodium. All of these products are sold by Fosters & Smith

Freshwater Aquarium Water Conditioners for RO Water: Seachem Equilibrium RO Water Conditioner

Freshwater Planted Aquarium Water Buffers: Seachem Acid & Alkaline Buffer

Thank you so much! I am relieved to find a few things that will actually work.

Thanks for all your input all of you!

Back
Top Bottom