RO water question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenor33

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello Guys, I have a very dumb question to ask. :oops: If I go out a buy a RO water filtration thing, where will it need to be to make my water ? I mean am I gonna have to give up the kitchen sink for it or hook it to outdoor faucet, i'm kinda clueless as to what I need to do to have RO water all the time. Sorry to be so dumb about this but until I started thinking about a Saltwater tank and reading the AA forums, I had never heard of it. Thanks in Advance, your friend Mike

you can just go to win dixie there in cartersville or publix and get r/o water for .25 cents a gallon

Many add them under the kitchen sink directly fed by the waterline and draining into the drain line, this does not tie up a sink and you have it stored and ready for use when needed. FWIW, I ran an RO/DI unit on an outside faucet for years, worked fine, just keep it shaded to prevent algae growth and keep the unit cool.

I have mine in my laundry room...you can pretty much put it anywhere you want that has a cold water line and a drain line

Where does the "filtered" RO water go that these RO units produce? Do you have to keep a bucket or small garabge can for it to output the water? And how would one get it to stop from overflowing all over the floor when the storage container gets full?

Or do most people just connect it up the day before a water change and let it output 10 or so gallons (which I would imagine takes 3-5 hours).

Sorry for the dumb question... just always wondered. Thanks!

Mine is connected to my cold water line in my kitchen, and to a pressurized storage tank with a faucet adapter. The RO unit has an auto shut off, so when there is back pressure the water flowing to the unit stops. When making RO DI, I simply keep an eye on it and make it in small containers in the sink, in case I forget.

I simply keep an eye on it and make it in small containers in the sink, in case I forget.

lol that happens to me all the time !! ya think by my girl friends reaction i dumped 10 gallons of oil on the floor :)

Thanks for the responses guys, I have a spare bathroom upstairs that I could possibly turn into my water-making room( surely the wife wouldn't be TO PISSED) I wanted to check on this because I have Fresh-water tanks now and salt-water is coming soon I hope and figure they would all benefit from the RO water.

Run the output into a bottle, sitting in the tub or shower. That way, when you forget to stop it (and you will)...it only overflows down the drain.

Oops...gotta go...I hear water running. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom