roaches around aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kribensis

Aquarium Advice Activist
Long story short. I baught a tank off some ppl and think there ac70 hob filter may have had a roach living in it. Now... clear across the house I found a roach with a bunch of small white looking dots scattered aroubd it when I sprayed the roach with some spray. Are roaches attracted to aquariums. And how should I attack them. Seeing as how I think the white dots were babys? They seam to be around my aquarium stand.

I say the first on on the rim of our 125g tank in the back room. Then right now. As im getting ready for work. I found this new roach. Should I just call a exterminator. Because I thunk the little specks were babys? Or can I treat them myself. And are all 4 tanks in our house going to attract the roaches? And would this tank issue make it easyer to attract them and kill them?

My wife is a OCD clean freak. So when ahe finds out. Or finds them. LOL sge is going to flip LOL. Please help. LOL

Roaches like dark and moist places to hide. That filter sounded ideal. I don't wanna push the panic button, but where there is one, there are 100's. If that thing had baby's, I would call someone. I HATE roaches with a passion so I sympathize with ur wife. Good luck. Let me know how everything goes.

Start putting out tons of Raid Roach traps/baits. I live in a 100 year old house and they had almost taken over. It took me a year of constant treatment to get rid of them. I bought some really strong stuff from the hard ware store that you mix with water and spray and used that in the walls when I replaced them and sprayed behind walls, in attic and around foundation. Then used the Raid bait traps. Worked great. I wouldn't recommend the spray in an enclosed area though. It is strong. Where a mask. If you start right now with the bait trays you have a chance of nipping it in the bud. Make sure all food stuff is well sealed, nothing is left out, and keep moisture down. They like the damp. I really, really, really hat those things.

I just added 2 under/behind 3 of our largest tanks. My wife said she saw one this morning in our bathroom. So I put one behind the poop pot :) and I already forgot ware the 8th one is. But the box says its good for 3 months. So next week im going to buy one more box. And add it to the same locations. If they have any eyys. I want the babys to get a fresh bait also.

You guys think this will work?

ForumRunner_20130319_163740.jpg

That should work. Just make sure to put them next to the wall or other surface. Roaches stay close to a solid object and use it as a runway. Thinks like the bottom appliances and walls. They are also attracted to electrical devices. They like the warmth and eat the wire insulation. If the roaches have just started you should be able to get rid of them. It is when they are crawling over every surface that you need an exterminator.

That should work. Just make sure to put them next to the wall or other surface. Roaches stay close to a solid object and use it as a runway. Thinks like the bottom appliances and walls. They are also attracted to electrical devices. They like the warmth and eat the wire insulation. If the roaches have just started you should be able to get rid of them. It is when they are crawling over every surface that you need an exterminator.

Oh man. You made us all so happy. I so hope it all works. I put 8 roach bait houses. And tomorrow. Im going to buy another pack of a different brand. Ill take care of oir whole housing track. If I learn a neighbor pushed them to our house. My wife freaked out saying they were going to get into our daughters ears. So I cant thank you all enough for your replys. And has calmed my OCD cleaning wife. Thank you thank you

I don't think the white dots were babies. Baby roaches look just like the adult roaches, just smaller. They hatch from a egg sack. If you see any hatched egg sacks then you know there are babies around.
images

I would be wary of using any of the off the shelf bait traps. Theres a good chance it will be ineffective on some of the roaches that eat the bait, as resistance builds up. Since you have the baits out, I would say leave them for three months, kill all you see. After three months, if you still have any evidence of an infestation, call a professional. The types of bait have to be switched up & a good dusting of Delta dust also helps.

Back
Top Bottom