Roasted? Toasted? Dried?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phyl

Aquarium Advice Addict
Are these all the same? I went to buy Nori in the oriental grocer and the choices threw me for a loop. There was only one package marked "dried" most of the others were roasted with an ocassional toasted thrown in. I've been buying the selects but I've finally caved in and hit the oriental grocer.

Thanks!

I would imagine you would just want "dried." The others are cooked in one way or another and I don't think that is as good for the fish, especially if any spices or seasoning is added. Stick with the dried and you should be all set.

tripper

You can use toasted or roasted but the cooking if I am not mistaken makes it loose some of it's nutrition. It also breaks up alot easier in the tank and goes flying around....I dont like the cooked......

also look at the RDA info to make sure they didnt throw in any special spices.

the only non spiced nori I could find was roasted

I had gotten the Roasted before I posted (and I'm a poet that didn't know it too, in case you were wondering, lol). Since there were no additional ingredients I went ahead and used it. It didn't seem to behave any differently in my tank than the other stuff does. Next time I'm in the chinese grocer I'll compare the nutritional facts of the two packages and see if they're the same, but for now my fishies will enjoy the roasted variety!

AFAIK cooked nori-roasted/toasted- will have considerably less nutritional value compared to dried.
I've been buying the selects but I've finally caved in
FWIW I like "Julian Sprung's Sea Veggies". It comes in an opaque, air tight, resealable package(zip lock bag basically) which keeps it nice and fresh in the store and at home.

With 5 tangs in the house (between 2 tanks) longevity of the product is not high on my worry list, lol! I was going through those silly small packages entirely too fast. Nutritional value is of interest though and I'll definitely be comparing the two. Thanks!

With 5 Tangs in house longevity of the product is not high on my worry list, lol!
Wow! They must eat the equivalent of a large dinner salad daily lol. I've found that the "Ocean Nutrition Seaweed Selects" were always old and/or stale when I bought them b/c of that crappy plastic box they use for packaging. It also breaks up easily and creates more of a mess. In comparison the Sea Veggies have a much more potent/fresh smell and color, I assume one reason is b/c of better packaging practices, and it stays together even when fish are tearing into it. BTW "Julian Sprung's Sea Veggies" are marketed for herbivorous fish, not human consumption. You won't find it at the oriental grocer-at least not in the original packaging j/k. HTH

Back
Top Bottom