Rock Flower Anemone.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveMc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
...anyone have any experience with these anemone's and if so are they easy to take care of?

Looking at getting one in the next few months and was wanting a little input on them :)

There pretty hardy as far as nems go. But you should really let your system mature for around a year before you add a nem.

There pretty hardy as far as nems go. But you should really let your system mature for around a year before you add a nem.

That's what I heard about them, being hardy. I do plan on waiting for sure....I want to wait until I get my bigger system...should have noted a longer time frame lol. From my understanding they tend to get big so I don't want it in my 10g Nano for sure.

IMO you could do them in a 10, but you would probably have to scape it with the plan of housing them.

Yeah they could live in a 10 long term. IME they stay around 5 inches and prefer the sandbed. They also tend to stay put once they find a spot they like. But like I said you would have to scape on a way to give them the space they need and not bother corals.

Yeah they could live in a 10 long term. IME they stay around 5 inches and prefer the sandbed. They also tend to stay put once they find a spot they like. But like I said you would have to scape on a way to give them the space they need and not bother corals.

Hmmmm.....that doesn't sound bad at all, but if I do do that down the road would there be a issue when it comes time to trans to the bigger system? It wouldn't be as well established at the 10g and wouldn't want to risk losing it just because of a tank transfer.

Easy solution, 2 tanks :p keep the ten and turn it into a rock flower garden and transfer everything else over

Easy solution, 2 tanks :p keep the ten and turn it into a rock flower garden and transfer everything else over

LOL :ROFLMAO: You know that may not be a bad idea. They are beautiful from what I have seen and a 10g with nothing but them would be amazing I bet.

I have 2 of them. They are great. Like someone else said they rarely move once they are attached. Both mine stayed where I put them. They do like to be where a rock meets the sand, as they usually attatch just under the rock. They dont get too big so a 10g would be fine in my opinion. They are not as demanding as other nems as far as lighting and water quality and they come in a variety of colors. They dont host clowns, but they do host anemone crabs and shrimp. I have anemone crabs paired up with mine. I feed them about 2 times per week and they look very healthy. Their stings are not very strong either so your fish should be pretty safe unless they dove right into it. lol.

Also they can touch each other so you can make an anemone garden of sorts with them. They will sting corals so just make sure they have some distance. If your corals are up on the rocks you dont have to worry about the rock nems climbing the rocks at all.

Thanks so much donniea. I was looking at several last night and the colors are amazing. I think they would be a great addition once my tank matures more. I would love to have one in my 10g but I think I would really love it more if it is in my bigger build. :)

They are super easy to keep. I got one as a hitch hiker with my live rock. I didn't know what it was cuz it was tiny however now a year and a half later it is about 3" across. It catches food outta the water but sometimes I feed it when I feed my other corals.

Mine isn't the brightest or most colorful but it does glow orange at night which is pretty cool. Plus it was free :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398868512.140013.jpg

Back
Top Bottom