Rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

parsons483

Aquarium Advice Activist
There are no mines at all in my area. How do I tell if a rock is safe for my aquarium. I have some siliconed together to make caves for cichlids but I want to make sure that they are safe. So what should I look out for?

There are no mines at all in my area. How do I tell if a rock is safe for my aquarium. I have some siliconed together to make caves for cichlids but I want to make sure that they are safe. So what should I look out for?

Do you have a local landscaping supply chain.

ive seen tons of folks pick up decent local stones from those locations.

Show us a pic of what you made so we can see the stones you used.

People say mainly about using the vinegar test for rocks if it fizzles it is very calcium based. Many rocks can be safe, but may increase hardness in the aquarium water. This wouldn't be too big of an issue for most Cichlids and some other groups of fish. Or if you have a lower KH or do huge pwc.

It sometimes matters, like using Seriyu Stone in a high grade crystal shrimp tank which must be lower ph. Bad choice. It is often used in shrimp tanks, but tends to harden the water.

People sometimes advise boiling or baking rocks. They can explode /pop /crack ,so probably not a great idea.

If you find rocks think if they have been sprayed with wasp overspray, pest or weed killers in general, stay away from them. Sometimes people redesign their yards/gardens and give away stones.

The silicone, was it the correct kind for aquarium use, NO fungicide/mold inhibitor?

Do you have a local landscaping supply chain.

ive seen tons of folks pick up decent local stones from those locations.

No I don’t the closest the MIGHT sell it would be 30 minutes away and it would not be cheap. That is why I chose to find my own rocks. Just need to know what to look out for that could be dangerous in an aquarium lol

Almost any rock will work. Avoid metalic rocks, crumbly sandstone, shale (has oil in it) and any rock that looks like it will dissolve. Despite what you read, limestone is okay too.
Your local rockyard would provide you with the best selection, seperating & labeling the rocks. They sell by the pound and it's usually cheap.

Almost any rock will work. Avoid metalic rocks, crumbly sandstone, shale (has oil in it) and any rock that looks like it will dissolve. Despite what you read, limestone is okay too.

Your local rockyard would provide you with the best selection, seperating & labeling the rocks. They sell by the pound and it's usually cheap.

We don’t have a rock yard here and I didn’t want to go buy them. But thank you what I have should be safe

Looks like you did a good job finding rocks and your hardscape looks very nice. I'm a big rock hardscape fan too. I've well over one hundred pounds of rocks in my main tank.

Looks like you did a good job finding rocks and your hardscape looks very nice. I'm a big rock hardscape fan too. I've well over one hundred pounds of rocks in my main tank.

Thank you lol :) I tried to do some research and these were the only ones that seemed safe. I still wanted to check and see what people had to say in here tho. Lol I love rocks i always have some sort of rock lying around the house in case I can put them in a tank. Now to let the tank cycle for a few weeks then I can add the fish [emoji4]

Looks good. If you got a river or lake nearby you can pull rocks from it and know it's safe. Old river or lake beds will do as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom