Root tabs and ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jtomas24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I added root tabs to my tank last night and when I woke up this morning my water was very cloudy. Almost like a brownish tint and I tested the water and it was high for ammonia. Didn't get a chance to do a partial water change but would root tabs cause a problem like this?

I don't think root tabs would cause an ammonia spike. They contain nutrients such as iron and phosphates and things, and they do color your water (had it happen to me too), but I don't think they would cause an ammonia spike. Though rotting plants might, if you've been having trouble with that.

Root Tabs

Hello J...

A while back, I used root tabs and noticed a light brown tint to the tank water. If you've done nothing new to the tank other than use the tabs, then the tabs must be the source of the problem.

So, you've tested the water and found it high in ammonia. Do your normal water change asap and figure out the problem later. You're risking your fish as long as they're in water with even a trace of ammonia.

B

Thanks for the replies. I kinda figured the root tabs caused the tinting. I noticed a brown leaf on my amazon sword also. Maybe that's the cause of the ammonia? I plan on doing a water change as soon as I get home from work which is in about 2 hours, hopefully by then there's no damage done. How much of a water change should I do? I normally do about a 20% change. Should I do more just in case

Yeah, do more. =] If your ammonia is anything above .25, then do a 50% water change.

what kind of root tabs did you use? I don't think a dead leaf or two is going to cause a spike in a cycled tank.

They should be buried deep in the substrate, but if they are exposed they may leach into the water column, even still, it depends on the type of root tab, but I don't know of any that have ammonia in them.

What is more likely is that you stirred up some compacted, concentrated waste in your substrate when you were inserting the tabs. If you haven't vaccuumed in that area in some time, the waste can build up and then cause a significant ammonia spike if it gets suddenly released into the water.

I used API root tabs from petsmart. I'll do another water test when I get home and do a 50% change and see what happens. How long would be good to wait to test the water after that and how long after that should I wait to perform another water change if needed?

Thank you for all the help. I'm kinda new to a lot of the aspects of this hobby but I'm learning very quickly and am amazed at how involved it is and how great this forum is :)

I'd test daily (along with water changes if needed) till you get a steady 0 ammonia 0 nitrite. I've used the API tabs also and I don't see how they would stain the water, even if left exposed, but it could be possible if there is peat in there or something.

Well I've been observing my tank and doing water changes accordingly for two weeks now. Everything is good to go and back to normal. Thank you guys so much for the help :)

Back
Top Bottom