Rooting anubias

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish 'n' fries

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had an anubias "planted" in my gravel (rhizome above the substrate, roots in it to hold it down). It's now floating on the top of the tank. Someone (I'm guessing the pleco) decided to pull it up and it's now detached from the roots. If I leave it floating will it eventually develop roots so I can replant it? There's really very little rhizome so I'm not sure I could tie it to something. Appreciate any suggestions! :)

I don't know why the roots would have died like that unless it is a common pleco then it ate the roots. If this is the case, best of luck because it has been my luck that when a common finds what it likes it won't leave them alone.

Now if it isn't a common pleco then I suggest getting a small piece of driftwood, a small inert rock or something that is about twice as long as the rhizome and tying the rhizome to it using cotton thread. I used upholstry thread and mine is rooted so deep now I don't dare move it. I cut the thread off a little while back and it was easy to remove.

I don't know anything about leaving them float so I can't help you there. I don't know why it couldn't work though.

I don't think it was eaten...just broken off...at a bad place. I'm just not sure there's enough to tie it on to something (it's a pretty small piece). I may just let it float unless someone knows it won't work... I'll update you if it works! :)

I've left a small bit of anubias floating (2-3 leaves w/rhizome), and mine never developed roots. I eventually just wedged it into a hole in the driftwood and it rooted there.

Do you know what species of Anubias? It might help to know just because of growth rates and maybe potential size. A petite nana would need a rather small rock or piece of driftwood because it will stay small. A larger anubias could be put on a larger driftwood in a small hole or a cut slit and then it would grow out of the spot when the roots get going and it can take up more nutrients.

It's most likely nana. I also have coffeefolia in the tank but the leaves don't look right to be that. I really wanted it to pretend to be a substrate plant...maybe I'll tie it to some slate or something that I can put in the substrate. I don't really want more plants on my driftwood (plus I can't imagine the pleco letting them be if they really took over his wood!) :D

I have mine on a piece of ceramic that I made specifically for plants. If you have a place locally, look for small piece that is about 3 inches long and really narrow. I can send you a piece if you can't find anything locally. Anything will work, really. Just need it to hold the rhizome, rest on the gravel, be heavy enough not to be knocked around too bad by Mr. Pleco and it should work. Just make sure any rock is tested so it won't leech bad things into your tank.

I know it is contrary to most reports, but mine is doing really well in direct light and not getting much algae. I think it helped to get the roots going really well and also helped with fast growth. Once it established with good roots again, then you can shade it with other plants if you want but I think it would really benefit from good light for a while. JMHO.

img_718560_0_877599e6b8b36228be3a7acad2496ac0.jpg

Here is the ceramic piece I used. It is unpainted but really doesn't matter.

I used a piece of quartz rock (from a 50lb bag of rocks from home depot). I just layed it over a piece of the roots, but you could also gently rest it on the rhizome. I did this with all of my plants that don't get buried in the substrate (java fern, anubias, some of my stargrass), and it always worked out very well. They eventually all rooted themselves in the substrate (PFS), and had to be gently pulled out if moved. I've also heard of slightly trimming remaining roots to stimulate additional growth of the root system, however I've never had this work for me yet (tried on java fern with no luck).

I believe phosphates are responsible for root growth (as a deficiency causes poor root development), so make sure you have an ample amount in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom