Rose Queen (hybrid) blue spots on mouth and extreme mellow behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aim300x

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
75 gallon water tank, over due water change, PH levels were 6.2. Ammonia levels were normal at 0 PPM, and temp was 80 degrees.
So I did a 60% water change and added 4 pinches of salt, PH level is now 7.0, temp is now 82 degrees. Filtration is Cascade canister 1500 - 350 GPH.
Have had this fish for 3 years, no recent diet changes (brine shrimp), no recent decor changes to the tank. There are two loaches (both small 3" to 4" ), one plecko (1' long) and one lobster (small).

My Rose Queen has a blue spot on each corner of his mouth and his behavior today was erratic at first, though now is sleeping in the back corner. Plus he is periodically doing a spinning "headstand" (typically his behavior is to be at the front of the tank, defending his area - normally very interactive with us). All other fish in the tank are doing well, no symptoms and no change in behavior.

Here's a couple of pics - Does anyone have any ideas what is wrong with him?

Attachments

• RedRum1.jpg
    RedRum1.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 82
  • redrum 5.jpg
    redrum 5.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 74
It may have started with the changes in your ph. Do you know if the ph has been altering often or is this something you just noticed? I'd test your tap water and keep an eye on the ph in the tank for starters.
The headstand spinning behaviour may be swim bladder related, have you seen him poop recently?

I would not medicate the tank quite yet, I would keep an eye on him for a bit and see if the water change does anything to improve him. Preforming some extra water changes might also be helpful. Quite often pristine water is all a fish need.

Thanks for responding. The PH levels were not altering often, has been consistent in the past, believe the acidic level was due to lack of recent cleaning. Never noticed him poop.

It's been 10 hours since the water change and his behavior is still the same, extremely mellow and staying behind a corner rock. When he did attempt to swim to the other side of the tank, it appeared that his tail fin was not functioning, only his side fins.

Read on the web that swim bladder disease is treatable with spinach or peas, any truth to this? :confused:
Not going to treat tank with any medicine, will see how he is in the morning. In the meantime, have not attempted to feed him his normal daily shrimp meal.

Peas can help with swim bladder and constipation. Try feeding a couple frozen peas, nuke them and skin them and see what happens. He has no bloating at all? Aside from the blue spots are there any other physical discolorations?

No bloating and no other discolorations. will try the frozen peas as you described. curious are can peas no good?

They are ok but not as good as frozen. The peas are fresher frozen. Canned peas will still do if you have no frozen. Please keep us updated on how he is doing.

Im having hard time getting peas in his mouth, the peas are sinking a little fast for him. I saw him throw up twice, never saw him do that before. He did project some white stuff out[looked like shrimp] of his mouth. Hes back in his corner laying down , ill keep you updated. txs

Quick update- It's 9:30 am and he is still in his corner, though does come out to the front of the tank more when we walk into the room. Tried to feed him some peas again this morning, but he's not eating them, seems like his coordination is off when he tries to catch them. blue/black spots remain. tailfin still is not functioning which is making it hard for him to swim properly.

5-11-08 - Update - he is still the same, hiding behind rock, only comes to the front of the tank when we at are the front of the tank. His tailfin still is not functioning, he ate for the first time in a week today - fed him some shrimp and pellet. Still has black spots on lip, and "chin" area - does seem to have some minor holes around bottom of mouth and nose region. All waters levels are normal. We have not medicated him or the tank - should we consider medication at this point - still not really sure exactly what his diagnois is - could be swim bladder, hole in head, nerve damage, etc.

Any suggestions???:confused:

PS i read that fish could break spine by swimming hard into glass ,
but his spine looks straight, no curve in it.

Have the holes above his mouth always been there or do they look like lessions? With the mention of holes sounds like hole in the head disease which will need to be treated imediatley with some strong antibiotics penicilun or tetra cyclene. hole in the head disease affects cichlids and is caused by high amonia and nitrite levels. I have only treated discuss for hole in the head and it took combining meds instead of just one single one. I might suggest that.

Back
Top Bottom