Rummy nosed tetra help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep... Rummynose, neon and cardinals seem to be sensitive fish... Though I've had better luck with neons than cardinals.

Bloodfins actually have similar silver color and size than rummunose but are much hardier. Two weeks ago I bought 4 cardinals for my son's tank and had all 4 disappear over the course of a week ... Guess the ghost shrimp had a field day with their bodies. The Bloodfins from day one were all over the tank!

I am loving the Rummies. I hope they all survive. They are the only thing in the tank right now. I'm going to have to look up the bloodfins.

Well, they have been racing along the back of the tank all day. They are fast! I think their heads are getting more color. I tried to feed them this morning but they didn't eat. Tonight I fed them and I made it so the flakes would float down in the back where they are swimming. They ate them but spit them right back out. Hopefully they will eat tomorrow. I am sad to turn the lights out tonight. I've enjoyed watching them swim. I need led moonlights so I can see them at night. :)

I've lost 1 rummy out of 6 in 6 months due to a ravishing from a school of black skirts. The red will brighten in time. It's also a good indicator of a tank in trouble. Keep your nitrates below 20 and they'll perk right up. I have lost more neons and cardinals then any rummy so I think it comes down to luck and stock.

Yours is a true rummy and mine have the same patch so no worries

Went out and bought frozen bloodworms today. I feel better knowing they ate! I think they all got a bite before they lost interest. They aren't as shy today. They are swimming along the front of the aquarium instead of the back.

Off to clean house before company comes over! I'm excited to see what they think of my bday present! :)

Some photos. Not great ones. They won't stop moving!

Their colors don't look to bad at all.... Looks like you're going to have 5 nicely colored rummy's in within the next week.

PLEASE HELP!! One died. I don't know why. My water tests fine. I'm even getting diatoms. I'm thinking it's my pH? It's 8.2. I'm going to remove the rock gravel and replace with pool filter sand and do a big water change. My tap water is 7.4 straight out of the tap. He showed no signs of being sick other than separating himself from the others and hiding. About 45 minutes ago I saw him swimming frantically and he was tilting sideways. Not horizontal but at a 45 degree angle. What do I do????

Not sure if it's causing the death of your rummynose, but yah pH is too high. Why is it so far above your tap?

Rummys prefer acidic water around 6.5 but should be fine in 7.4. 8.2 is too high.

1) take out any sea shells, crushed coral, or anything of the like.

2) do a large water change (50%) with de-clorinated tap. Aerate the tap water for 24 hours if possible to avoid out-gassing. Wait an hour and test your pH again.

3) wait a couple days and do another large water change. Test again for pH.

-----do not use any chemicals to bring the pH down-----
if you lower the pH too fast it will probably kill your fish.

4) consider buying some driftwood or peat that will release tannins and slowly lower the pH.

Alkane said:
Not sure if it's causing the death of your rummynose, but yah pH is too high. Why is it so far above your tap?

Rummys prefer acidic water around 6.5 but should be fine in 7.4. 8.2 is too high.

1) take out any sea shells, crushed coral, or anything of the like.

2) do a large water change (50%) with de-clorinated tap. Aerate the tap water for 24 hours if possible to avoid out-gassing. Wait an hour and test your pH again.

3) wait a couple days and do another large water change. Test again for pH.

-----do not use any chemicals to bring the pH down-----
if you lower the pH too fast it will probably kill your fish.

4) consider buying some driftwood or peat that will release tannins and slowly lower the pH.

I just did a 75-80% pwc. I took out all my rocks and stones. All I have in there now are my plants a lava rock and my driftwood. I will get pool filter stand for substrate tomorrow. I lost a second one tonight and a third has separated himself from the others. The only thing I can think is it's the pH. All my other parameters are ok. I hate this. I can't stand losing anymore fish. :(. I have an airstone in there. I have a jug of tap water sitting on the counter. It's been there about 6 hours. I'm testing a sample of that plus the water in the tank right now.

All my water is testing 7.4 right now. I acclimated the fish again before I put them in. I hope the one doesn't die tonight. I turned the lights out already too.

What does this look like to you? I just tested my waters pH again. All the color is gone now from my remaining 3 tetras.

View attachment 86582

The left tube is the jug on the counter thats been sitting for about 11 hours. The second tube is from my tank. It's been running for around 3 or 4 hours since I did the 75-80% water change. I think the tank water test is darker.

Looks like 7.8-8 for me. I mean fish can adapt to ph in time so it's not a huge concern. If you want it lower add driftwood and it will gradually lower the ph naturally. Never use chemicals because too much can shock your tank

Chronos313 said:
Looks like 7.8-8 for me. I mean fish can adapt to ph in time so it's not a huge concern. If you want it lower add driftwood and it will gradually lower the ph naturally. Never use chemicals because too much can shock your tank

I was thinking the same thing about the readings. I am planning on getting more driftwood. The lady at the store was trying to get me to buy API pH down. I didn't buy it. A- you guys have told me not to, and B- I would have to had used like 110 drops or something. No thanks.

What do you know about peat moss? I hear it lowers pH? How do you put it in the tank? Just tie it to something and drop it in? Let it float? Stick it in the filters?

I soaked my driftwood for two days in boiling water and it's lowered my ph to 7.2 and holding. Peat moss I am unsure of. I'm sure mumma or jeta would know more then me

Chronos313 said:
I soaked my driftwood for two days in boiling water and it's lowered my ph to 7.2 and holding. Peat moss I am unsure of. I'm sure mumma or jeta would know more then me

I know the driftwood lowered the pH in my betta tank. I just need a nice big piece of it! My tank looks so cold and uninviting right now. Adding sand tomorrow is going to help the looks of it at least.

My advise is don't mess with it at all. If these guys make it they will be fine at 7.8-8. My rummynoses live in water exactly the same pH. Remove all the offending decor so your tank reads the same as your tap. That way you don't have to worry about pH swings at all.

Mumma.of.two said:
My advise is don't mess with it at all. If these guys make it they will be fine at 7.8-8. My rummynoses live in water exactly the same pH. Remove all the offending decor so your tank reads the same as your tap. That way you don't have to worry about pH swings at all.

That sounds reasonable. I'll do another water change tomorrow then an try to get the pH a little lower. I really hope they make it!!

Good news!! The 3 made it through the night! Their noses are orange colored which is better than the silver they were last night. They were all 3 together again, no one was separated. I'll test my water in a little bit. I'm going back to sleep. :)

They will probably have blood worms for breakfast!

I tested my water this morning. Here's my results.

I may get a little peat moss and put it in my small filter since I don't have anymore driftwood at the moment. I'd like my pH to be a little lower. I'll test a little in my water on the counter first. What do you guys think?

View attachment 86618

Tank water

View attachment 86619

Tap water after sitting out 20 or so hours.

I'm going to lose another one. He's swimming frantically and weird. He didn't eat the bloodworms this morning either. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!

I'm trying to get my pH down. My ammo is zero, nitrites are 0 nitrates are about 40ppm.

I have that much nitrates in my tap water. I have live plants to try and counter balance it.

:bangshead: I'm so frustrated.

Back
Top Bottom