Rummy nosed tetra help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LyndaB said:
That's better. I'm sure they'll appreciate it. Anywhere you can create shadows in the tank, that's where they'll tend to make their little territory.

If my piece of driftwood ever stops floating I can make them a nice little cave with it. I went ahead and turned out the lights so they are more comfortable too.

Just want to make sure these are diatoms. Best pictures I could get. They are forming all over the glass and are relatively easy to wipe of. I circled them in black in the pictures. Also, my 2 Rummies seem to be of strong stock. They are doing well. Color is coming back and they have been acting normal. Avoiding my fake plants like the plague though! I think they prefer the real ones. LOL!

I got some mopani DW from petsmart. It's zoo med brand. The guy was like- whoa- it'll lower your pH. I was like- yeah. I know. Anywho...

The 2 little guys are still alive! I'm going to name them Titan and Thor if they keep on keeping on!

So... when would be a good time to add more Rummies? I added more driftwood and my water has cleared up. I haven't had a fish die since Tuesday.

Here's how my tank looks now. As soon as I find a plant I like the plastic plants will be out of there!

View attachment 86959

Mopani

LyndaB said:
I'd wait until after at least 2 weeks of steady readings.

Ok. I was hoping sooner so I could make their school a little bigger. I'd hate for them all to die again though!

I agree. 2 weeks of healthy fish behavior. Also be sure to acclimate properly with the new rummies. Add your tank water to their bag in small increments over 20-30 mins. Your new rummies will adapt very quickly to ur tank with the two already happy and swimming around. My second batch of rummies colored up in minutes

Alkane said:
I agree. 2 weeks of healthy fish behavior. Also be sure to acclimate properly with the new rummies. Add your tank water to their bag in small increments over 20-30 mins. Your new rummies will adapt very quickly to ur tank with the two already happy and swimming around. My second batch of rummies colored up in minutes

Ok. That's how I acclimated the first batch. I'll just let my two enjoy all their space for awhile!

Have you guys ever noticed if your Rummies nose color is gone when the lights come on in the morning? Mine lose their color overnight but it comes back within minutes.

Nope, just as a precaution check your pH in the early morning and then again during the mid day to see if you are getting a pH swing. Probably not the cause, but it can't hurt to check especially if you don't have a lot of aeration.

Alkane said:
Nope, just as a precaution check your pH in the early morning and then again during the mid day to see if you are getting a pH swing. Probably not the cause, but it can't hurt to check especially if you don't have a lot of aeration.

I'll do that to see whats going on. I have a bubble stone and a Marineland emperor 400... I think I have enough aeration?

Heaven to Betsy! I was at petsmart and saw a couple buy 3 3-4inch comet goldfish to put in their 10 gallon tank. wow.

I'll do that to see whats going on. I have a bubble stone and a Marineland emperor 400... I think I have enough aeration?

Yah you do, couldn't hurt to test though

Heaven to Betsy! I was at petsmart and saw a couple buy 3 3-4inch comet goldfish to put in their 10 gallon tank. wow.

:blink:

I'd say 8-8.2 what size of water change you doing? You may have to do every two days. Or get a large piece of driftwood and let it lower it naturally.

Yah I agree 8.2ish.

When you tested your tap water for pH did you let it sit out for at least 24 hours first?

The reason I ask is that dissolved gasses (co2) in your tap water will cause a lower pH reading initially, then you will find your true pH once the water has time to settle.

Chronos313 said:
I'd say 8-8.2 what size of water change you doing? You may have to do every two days. Or get a large piece of driftwood and let it lower it naturally.

I have a 55 gal. Yesterday I did 15 gals. I added two small peices of DW and some peat moss in the filter. I was hoping it would be a little lower.

My tap tests at about 7.8-8.0 ish after sitting out and stirring it all night. *sigh*

Back
Top Bottom