Rummynose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hubert90 said:
Bahaha! Yes I know u do!! :) but u needs relax! U are better than u think u are!

So a stressed person gets fish for enjoyment and stresses... Is that an oxymoron? Lol lol

Flossie said:
So a stressed person gets fish for enjoyment and stresses... Is that an oxymoron? Lol lol

I've had fish for as long as I can remember...I'm still waiting for the "calm and peaceful" thing people talk about to kick in, haha. I spend more time counting heads and checking fins then I do sitting back and enjoying them. You're not alone :)

Flossie, I promise you lol, they really aren't that sensitive. :) no need to worry, just take care and enjoy your new fish. Do everything like you normally would and they'll be fine. They'll adjust way faster if there's a set routine anyway. Just get the salt out of all the tanks (it's not needed, and can be bad in the long run) remove it slowly. Really, just don't add more and do a weekly 50% PWC. I promise you, your fish will be fine. :) fish tanks are supposed to be a way to relax... Let them do their job! Lol.

eco23 said:
I've had fish for as long as I can remember...I'm still waiting for the "calm and peaceful" thing people talk about to kick in, haha. I spend more time counting heads and checking fins then I do sitting back and enjoying them. You're not alone :)

Lol I'm counter too:) I guess it's bc we care and some ppl think if they live they live if not then not.... I guess they are the peaceful ppl!! Lol

Homedog98 said:
Flossie, I promise you lol, they really aren't that sensitive. :) no need to worry, just take care and enjoy your new fish. Do everything like you normally would and they'll be fine. They'll adjust way faster if there's a set routine anyway. Just get the salt out of all the tanks (it's not needed, and can be bad in the long run) remove it slowly. Really, just don't add more and do a weekly 50% PWC. I promise you, your fish will be fine. :) fish tanks are supposed to be a way to relax... Let them do their job! Lol.

Thanks homedog :) I did not have fish in it prior to the rummynose so I was like ehhhhh the cycle!!!!!! Lol the water has been a little cloudy but I've been doing PWCs daily to remove the salt...so idk maybe just stirring things up.

I just wanted something easy! I really do love the rummynose though and they made it through transit and acclimation so I guess I did pretty good there ;)

I want to change the hood and upgrade the filter from the aquatech 5-15 to a tetra 20-40 but I'm worried itll stress them....

I know I need a couple more cories but I know I'm already pushing it... I'm asking my husband if he'll still love me if I just get one more BIG tank bc I need a community tank :) lol lol lol

Homedog98 said:

Agreed I have NEVER lost a tetra I have lost others but not them one thing after lights out for the night their faces will be dull when you turn the light back on in the am so don't worry about that a have a school of 10 rummynose and they were the fastest to adjust the next day they acted like they owned the tank very cool swimmers

Flossie said:
Thanks homedog :) I did not have fish in it prior to the rummynose so I was like ehhhhh the cycle!!!!!! Lol the water has been a little cloudy but I've been doing PWCs daily to remove the salt...so idk maybe just stirring things up.

I just wanted something easy! I really do love the rummynose though and they made it through transit and acclimation so I guess I did pretty good there ;)

I want to change the hood and upgrade the filter from the aquatech 5-15 to a tetra 20-40 but I'm worried itll stress them....

I know I need a couple more cories but I know I'm already pushing it... I'm asking my husband if he'll still love me if I just get one more BIG tank bc I need a community tank :) lol lol lol

Lol, go for it! Really, do what you need. They really aren't that fragile. They are way tougher then you give them credit for... I promise. Upgrading filters and stuff will be more of a stress reliever for them if anything. Cleaner water = happier fish. The lighting... I agree, I'd wait until after they get settled. Also... Just sayin... Go with the aquaclear 30 instead... Much better filter ;) Definitely give the Cory some friends though! :) if all else fails... you could always put in Pygmy cories with the regular one. They actually fit in a 10. :) the other one would enjoy the company.

ryan-peddle said:
Agreed I have NEVER lost a tetra I have lost others but not them one thing after lights out for the night their faces will be dull when you turn the light back on in the am so don't worry about that a have a school of 10 rummynose and they were the fastest to adjust the next day they acted like they owned the tank very cool swimmers

I read they were sensitive for about the first couple of weeks. Ppl say expect a few to die and I've read ppl have lost them in the transit home. I have read they r very sensitive to chemicals and parameters so that scared me seeing they are the first fish in my cycled tank!! Mine are not Staying out a whole lot... They are coming out a little more and getting a little more color.... They won't really come out for food hardly... One or two may grab a bite. Someone said they think they get ick easy... So u see why u freaked out? Lol lol

Homedog98 said:
Lol, go for it! Really, do what you need. They really aren't that fragile. They are way tougher then you give them credit for... I promise. Upgrading filters and stuff will be more of a stress reliever for them if anything. Cleaner water = happier fish. The lighting... I agree, I'd wait until after they get settled. Also... Just sayin... Go with the aquaclear 30 instead... Much better filter ;) Definitely give the Cory some friends though! :) if all else fails... you could always put in Pygmy cories with the regular one. They actually fit in a 10. :) the other one would enjoy the company.

I would be using same bulbs different hood. I already have the larger filter... The intake wasn't snapping on bc some of the plastic tabs broke off in the box... I had only paid a few dollars for it brand new so my dad just siliconed it with aquarium safe silicone :) yay for dads :D they seem to stress whenever I do anything so I was worried about moving the hood... Heater.. Filter and such.. Also I wanna make sure I don't hurt the bio filter. Adding another bio surface can only help right ???

Flossie said:
I would be using same bulbs different hood. I already have the larger filter... The intake wasn't snapping on bc some of the plastic tabs broke off in the box... I had only paid a few dollars for it brand new so my dad just siliconed it with aquarium safe silicone :) yay for dads :D they seem to stress whenever I do anything so I was worried about moving the hood... Heater.. Filter and such.. Also I wanna make sure I don't hurt the bio filter. Adding another bio surface can only help right ???

Yes, you're fine adding the 2nd filter. Oh, so you're just changing the hood? That's fine. The reason they're getting stressed is because they're new. Once they settle in they'll get stressed a lot less often. :)

Homedog98 said:
Yes, you're fine adding the 2nd filter. Oh, so you're just changing the hood? That's fine. The reason they're getting stressed is because they're new. Once they settle in they'll get stressed a lot less often. :)

I was going to transfer the biological filter to the 20-40. Yeah i figure they'll calm down I was just wondering if it would be best to wait until they settle to make changes... !??

Flossie said:
I was going to transfer the biological filter to the 20-40. Yeah i figure they'll calm down I was just wondering if it would be best to wait until they settle to make changes... !??

Better to do it now since they're already stressed rather then later when they're calm, only to stress them again.

Homedog98 said:
Better to do it now since they're already stressed rather then later when they're calm, only to stress them again.

True words of wisdom homedog !! Hehe thanks!!!

Homedog98 said:
Lol, no prob! Just keep us updated, and promise me you won't stress about them too much lol. ;)

Lol u would think I'd be over the stress by now since I have 4 tanks stocked.... I think it's when I first get them... Or of course if they are sick :D LOL ahhhh thanks for the support :D

Homedog98 said:

Ok so I put in a 10-20 with the old and new filter media. Should be ok? Should only help my cycle right!? Was going to but the 20-40 but it won't work bc its to big and broke!!! Grrr... So they are freaked out really really bad... Hope they don't get sick or die :( they were swimming insane crazy!!! Lol

Flossie said:
Ok so I put in a 10-20 with the old and new filter media. Should be ok? Should only help my cycle right!? Was going to but the 20-40 but it won't work bc its to big and broke!!! Grrr... So they are freaked out really really bad... Hope they don't get sick or die :( they were swimming insane crazy!!! Lol

They'll calm down. Your filter plan is good. Just make sure the old media is behind the new. For the hood, you should be ok, just turn off the lights for a while. :)

Homedog98 said:
They'll calm down. Your filter plan is good. Just make sure the old media is behind the new. For the hood, you should be ok, just turn off the lights for a while. :)

I just used the filter floss with my old floss and cartridge. I did not put the new cartridge in :) I have the lights off so hopefully itll all work out great!!! I was nervous about the filter bc I heard they were pretty sensitive to water parameters... Those fish can MOVE!!! lol they were going crazy!!!

Flossie said:
I just used the filter floss with my old floss and cartridge. I did not put the new cartridge in :) I have the lights off so hopefully itll all work out great!!! I was nervous about the filter bc I heard they were pretty sensitive to water parameters... Those fish can MOVE!!! lol they were going crazy!!!

They'll settle down, just keep the lights off and let them rest. :)

Back
Top Bottom