Running a second filter.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NoNitrates

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have an AquaClear 50 on one side of the 20 long. Since the tank is so long, I got an AquaClear 20 for the other side just to get some water flowing on the left side(and use it to help cycle my next tank). I didn't put carbon in the second filter-just the pad and the bio ball thingies. Should I take out the mechanical filtration pad and just leave the bio balls or leave them both in? And do you think this is too much circulation for a 20 long?

Circulation u have. Filteration u do not. I've been the ac route. There is almost as much bypass as there is filtration with the aquaclears. If ur fish aren't hiding in quite corners then u r probably safe. I've got 2 aqueon quiteflows at 400 gph manufacturers rating, 1 aqueon 950 circulation head, and 1 biocube 250 circulation head all on my 75 gallon tank of catfish and african cichlids. That is approximately 2000 gph turnover. My fish are happy and I can't complain.

As long as the fish seem fine then what you have is okay. I run 2x AC50s on a 20 long. That's about 20x turnover (yes there is some bypass as mentioned above). A bit overkill for a planted tank but I am using one as a means of distributing DYI CO2. The fish are active (danios, tetras). I've added "lip extensions" so that the water flow is along the surface and not downward into the tank at 45 degrees. Less disruption for the plants and much quieter (no splash). I don't use the carbon inserts; one filter has 1 sponge + 2 ceramic media and the other has 2 sponges + 1 ceramic media. IMO I'd keep the sponge in as it does trap matter that would otherwise settle into the ceramic media.

This may be a stupid idea -- but would it work to extend the intake tube with a piece of flexible hose so that the intake is on the other side of the tank than the out-flow? Will that increase strain on the filter-motor? Or would it just make no difference?

Masha, I've given your idea some thought in the past. Run the intake to the other side and get some side to side flow. Probably a good idea on a long tank with the filter on the side rather than the center.

Masha, I've given your idea some thought in the past. Run the intake to the other side and get some side to side flow. Probably a good idea on a long tank with the filter on the side rather than the center.

Hmm. I might try that myself, then. Sorry for the thread hijack!

Hello No...

You don't need the AC 20. The 50 is plenty for a 20 G tank. You need the bio and mech filter media to house the good bacteria, but you can pass on the chemical (carbon). Large, weekly water changes will do more to keep the tank water clean than the filtration equipment. It's main purpose is water movement on the surface to remove carbon dioxide and mix oxygen into the tank water.

B

Back
Top Bottom