salinity monitors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guitarded

Aquarium Advice Freak
i know that many folks here use hydrometers and refractomers, however, i would like to hear from those that have experience with salinity monitors (like the pinpoint salinity monitors).

also, in researching salinity measurements, i see that a lot of folks recommend 35ppt. is it preferable to measure ppt rather than SG?

it dosen't matter which way you measure salinity. I use a refractometer, so I can't help with other

PPT to SG is basically the same measure, they translate to each other. As in 35PPT = 1.027.
The salinity meter I believe only measures the major elements in SW (sodium, sulfate, chloride) so not very effective.

Mike

so even though SG requires temperature correction (PPT remains constant @ temp changes), are you saying that using a refractometer or hydrometer would be a better tool than a salinity monitor?

i hate it when i purchase something only to "wish" i had bought something else. happens all the time! so i just want to make sure i get something that i won't be replacing later.

Back
Top Bottom