Salinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
With most saltwater fish, there looks to be this good flexibility on having your salinity be between 1020-1025. I have my tanks at 1023-1024. Is there an ideal salinity that fish like?

You want to shoot for 1.025 for a reef and that's more for the coral. Lots of people run their fish only tanks around 1.020. I have heard of people going as high as 1.030 but if you stick around 1.025 you should be good.

The higher the salinity the less oxygen the water holds. In a FOWLR the lower SG lessens stress on the fish in a Reef tank the coral tend to like a higher SG (1.025) One of the reasons for the added flow in reef tanks is to raise the oxygen content of the water. In my FOWLR I keep the SG. at .023 In my reef it's at .026

The higher the salinity the less oxygen the water holds. In a FOWLR the lower SG lessens stress on the fish in a Reef tank the coral tend to like a higher SG (1.025) One of the reasons for the added flow in reef tanks is to raise the oxygen content of the water. In my FOWLR I keep the SG. at .023 In my reef it's at .026

Sweet deal! I keep mine at .023-.024 on

Back
Top Bottom