Salt Water Startup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Them Emerald crabs are pretty aggresive I hear, will they go after the cleaning crew once I get them in?

My emerald crab keeps to himself. Infact, he tends to run and hide if another crab walks up on him. He can be seen picking at the live rocks and eating whatever it is that he is picking off. He will walk around at night and seems to do so cautiously. I have also heard of them becoming jerks as they grow, but it seems that they stay nice when well fed. He seems to prefer algae as he dodges the frozen mysis shrimp when it floats past him.

Matt

Ok well in the past week I have only seen him once so I assume he likes to spend his time hidden inside the rock

I'm actually going to get one as soon as I get my upgrade tank up and stable. They are about the only thing I've heard of that eat on bubble algae.

I am new to saltwater and got an emerald crab about a week ago. It is usually always out and cruising around for something to eat in an eight gallon nano he is easy to find. I don't have any fish and don't know if I will get any. BTW I got mine to eat bubble algae and he hasn't touched mine so I took my rock out and removed it all by hand but he got on all the other algae in a heart beat.

They can be hit or miss like peps with aiptasia. A guy in the reef club put three into his chalice tank (he has some incredible tanks!) and said the first 2 didn't touch the bubble algae until number three came in. If I add one and it doesn't go for the algae, I'm fine with it. I think they are really cool! :)

I'm thinking of selling off my Eclipse 2 hood and going for this. What are your thoughts

Have you used this item?
Be the first to Write a Review

24" 2x65W Orbit PC Fixture
by Current USA* LT-CR-OR-24-2x65 $167.95 Qty:
frame_hdr.gif

Welcome to Orbit, the 24-hour lighting revolution. For those who are ready, our SunPaq™ Dual Daylight and Dual Actinic come together with our Lunar Light in one sleek, fan-cooled fixture.
With individual bulb wattages from 40 to 130 watts, Orbit offers the leading technologies in an integrated system that works around the clock. That`s one small step to take for a gigantic leap in performance.

- The most complete 24-hour lighting system
- Highest output of any lighting system
- 4 lamps in 2
- European look
- Lunar lights every 12"
- Includes Docking Mounts
- Parabolic Reflector
- Exquisite Features

A breakthrough in aquatic lighting technology, the Orbit incorporates both daytime and nighttime lighting sources for the ultimate 24-hour lighting solution.
Built-in Moon White Lunar Lights (every 12") cast a crisp moon glow for optimum nocturnal simulation and nighttime viewing. The pro-grade Orbit has all of the features that advanced hobbyists demand and their friends will marvel at.

Dual SunPaq™ Enhanced
Industry-first breakthrough technology from Current creates the ultimate lighting spectrum by blending two color temperatures into one lamp. We incorporated a proprietary blend of phosphors from Nichia, the world`s leading phosphor manufacturer.
We didn`t stop there, the SunPaq lamps feature the industry`s only 18-Karat gold plated pins for maximum conductivity and corrosion resistance as well as Philips brand filaments.
A German parabolic reflector, coupled with our revolutionary dual phosphor SunPaq lamps, produces stunning output—the highest in the industry.

European Design
Sleek, contoured European design, great for any application, enhances the appearance of your aquarium both inside and out. Docking mounts are included for suspension above your aquarium, making feeding convenient and completing the ultra-modern look.

Superior Driving System
High power factor electronic driving system unleashes the power of the SunPaq lamps while preserving and extending lamp life. The patented circuitry inside each ballast ensures consistent high performance and low energy consumption. A 3.15" high-CFM fan quietly cools the ballast and lamps for peak performance. Maximum thermal reduction is achieved by strategic placement of the ballast in relation to the lamps allowing the fans to perform efficiently and quietly.

Features:
- Dimensions: 24.75" L x 8.25" W x 4.5" H
- Daylight 6,700k/10,000k: 1 x 65 watt
- Actinic 420nm/460nm: 1 x 65 watt
- No. of Lunar Lights: 2
- Fan: Yes (1)
- No. of Switches: 2
- Total watts: 130
- Total amps: 0.95
- Configuration: B

Very good fixture IMO. That's what we used over a 20 and could grow everything up to and including the easier SPS.

But which would be better. This type of setup or a T5 setup? I want to be able to grow pretty much anything in the future.

So T5 would be better then PC but I would like to find something with Luna as well

What did you add for your nitrogen source? and when.....

I was told not to put the raw shrimp because it would just re-cycle the tank for a 2nd time.

Ammonia and Nitrite are down where they should be and I will only have a spike of Nitrate when I add fish, waster or extra food flakes

I would do the shrimp but then everything will start over.

I will monitor the Nitrate with a water change in a few weeks depending how the test come back

I was told not to put the raw shrimp because it would just re-cycle the tank for a 2nd time.

Ammonia and Nitrite are down where they should be and I will only have a spike of Nitrate when I add fish, waster or extra food flakes

I would do the shrimp but then everything will start over.

I will monitor the Nitrate with a water change in a few weeks depending how the test come back
When did your tank cycle? Who told you not to add the shrimp? It looks sterile to me with just that amount of LR and you don't seem to have to much life on those rocks. So where is your Ammonia source?

Amonia and Nitrite are at 0 and Nitrate is at 10
PH 8.4

Well the rocks seam to have alot of life on them. I was told by our local marine shop that i could start with two fish. I actually bought a 180 gallon tank today from a guy on Kijiji. This will be my winter project. I won't set it up right now.

Anyway for now i have
10 snails
15 hermits
1 clown
1 Cardinal

we will see how this turn out...
My water was just re-tested at 6pm tonight at the local shop

Back
Top Bottom