Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't add salt to my fw tanks I turn up the temperature slowly because it speeds up the life cycle, then do lots and lots of water changes to clean out any that is floating or in the gravel.

Depending on what fish you have, using salt as well as heat will have additional benefits.
Research and make sure your fish aren't sensitive to salt.
Raise the temp. about 1 degree every 6-10 hours until you're around 86F.
Add salt as directed on box (if fish are safe), do a %50 water change after week 1, re-add the salt with temperature matched treated tap water. Add some stress relief/ slime coat healer during this PWC, but not a full dose.

Keep heat up for another week, and see if ich is still present. Can even keep heat up for an additional week to ensure the ich has subsided. Slowly reduce heat the same way you raised it.

I successfully treated neon tetras and cardinals with the heat and salt treatment, while tetras are sensitive to salt.

Salt will help protect fish from bad water conditions, but if you've got a healthy aquarium, you shouldn't need salt.

Well listen to my scenario quick

I have a 20 gal with
1 Cory cat ( Heard not good with salt?)
1 guppy
3 black widow tets
And a gourami being treated for ich with salt

I bought yesterday

2 Cory cats
3 black widow tets
8 neons

I want to add a little bit of salt to reduce stress and possible disease any suggestions

The gourami is in the main tank? Then there's already salt in there, you shouldn't need more. I hope your new fish don't get ich too! Are they quarantined?

I have 2 tanks my main and my qt the guppy was new and put in the quarantine tank ( qt) then I noticed ich he was alone none of my others have ich but I just want a little salt in for my black widow tets ( new ones ) they haven got there deep color guessing from stress and I also want to stop any ich

I would not add salt to the healthy tank, especially with the salt sensitive fish. Some water conditioners have added stuff for the fishes slime coat, and the bottle says you can put a few extra drops in for new or stressed fish.

I've got black widows too. They are very sensitive to any upset in their tank, and get pale even when I do water changes. They will color up after a while, don't worry!

Dealing with "Ich"

Just got salt for my fresh water aquarium how much must I put in to cure ich?

Hello Shane...

If you've caught the virus in it's early stages, a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt per five gallons of treated water change water and raising the temperature of the tank to 86 degrees over a period of a couple of days, should be enough to kill the parasite. If your fish show interest in food, feed them just a little once a day. If not, stop feeding them for a few days. You don't need uneaten food fouling the water. Just follow this routine for a couple of weeks, then return the water temperature to normal, 76 degrees, but keep up the salt routine for several weeks to make sure the parasite is gone.

Most fish pathogens can't survive even a trace of dissolved salts in the water. If you follow an aggressive water change routine by removing and replacing half the tank water every couple of days and do a good job of vacuuming the gravel, you should notice quite an improvment in a couple of weeks.

B

Thank you he is looking a lot better he has more spots but all his fins are unclamping :) and he is very energetic an I only added salt yesterday that is a very quick improvement

The tank has a light must I turn it on or will it cause stress

Salt in Freshwater Tanks

Ok now what are the benefits of have salt in a healthy aquarium ?

Hello again Shane...

I've used a little standard aquarium salt in my fresh water tanks for several years with good results. If you use aquarium salt, you replace important minerals the fish body needs to maintain fluid pressure. Dissolved salts in the tank water keeps the tissues in the gills healthy and helps the fish breath more efficiently.

Another benefit of using aquarium salt is most disease causing parasites can't live in water with a trace of dissolved salts.

I use a teaspoon of aquarium salt in every five gallons of treated water change water. You can use up to a tablespoon, but I've found some of my aquatic plants prefer less than a tablespoon, so I use a third of a tablespoon, a teaspoon, in my planted tanks.

If you need more information, Google Sodium Chloride;Salt in freshwater Aquariums

B

Thanks will this not hurt my plants and Cory cat 1 teaspoon every 5 g ?

Hello again Shane...

A teaspoon is fine for plants and fish. I use about a teaspoon in every 5 gallons of my treated water. I keep large, planted tanks of "Livebearers" and Corydoras and have experienced no problems dosing a little standard aquarium salt.

You can also use commercial canning salt and "kosher" salt in place of the aquarium salt. Don't use table salt. It's processed and may contain additives that can be harmful to your fish and plants.

B

I agree 100% with the salt method,and once a month add salt 1 tablespoons per 5 gallon,i have allways done this and truly believe in the benifits,its logical,and if you have bigger fish that are usually marked up,lol!,it helps heal wounds as well

No.
Don't.
Cories and especially plants are super sensitive to salt. I tried adding salt once to treat ich but ended up ditching it because I didn't want to kill my cories and plants. In fact, if you dose salt consistently the ich will eventually form a resistance to salt. Heat will speed up it's life cycle, that's all I recommend when treating for ich. Also be consistent with water changes and check your water parameters during and after ich.

Back
Top Bottom