Saltwater filteration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dominick008

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I was wondering is a canister filter good for a saltwater aquarium??? Plz help ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399334329.390898.jpg

Many will say no as canister filters are known to be nitrite factories, but I ran a canister on my 75 without any problems for the year or so I had it running. You will need to stay on top of water changes and maintenance on the filter and you should be fine. Make sure you keep and eye on parameters too, shouldnt have a problem.

How often would u maintain the canister and do u mean cleaning the media or changing

Clean once a week and change filter wool and rinse pads in aquarium water aswell you won't have a problem,,, it's just a pain to do it once a week

Do u think that this media will be good I will be using seachem purigen, seachem matrix, and seagel and maybe some ceramic rings or carbon

I had the C360 marinelandand changed do to a leak issue now its the old trusty HOB for me easy!

What about 2 fluval 406 filters with a protein skimmer attached to the tank?

Do u think that this media will be good I will be using seachem purigen, seachem matrix, and seagel and maybe some ceramic rings or carbon

I haven't used seagel or matrix...but purigen is an amazing product. When running it, there isn't a need to use carbon. No reason to double up on the same thing.
How are you planning on running this media?

its also more cost efficient than carbon, as it can be recharged with some bleach and a quick soak. I used to have a little bag in my sump come to think of it...I have no idea where it is now.

Back
Top Bottom