Saltwater from ocean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jawaits

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was watching a video on a guy from vivid aquariums and he has an 800 gal tank but he shipped in salt water can I do that from any where or do I have to get it from one specific place and after getting it what do I do to prep it for my tank?

Saltwater from the ocean is usually full of things you don't want for a tank. Someone posted a link to an article that did a study. Basically, it mentioned that you would have to go a mile+ out to sea to get water that would be suitable for your tank.

I wouldn't use "natural" sea water. Others may have a different opinion.

I user to use ocean water for few months before I bought my rodi unit. Didn't see any bad part about using. in my area the water comes from catalina island and most fish stores here is what they sell you..ocean water. I did notice much better coral growth when I started mixing my own salt water though.

Depending on where you live you can get saltwater from the ocean. I know several people in NC use saltwater from the ocean, but it is from a pipe that is run from out in the ocean and is deep down. They will actually post on a local forum if there is a reason not to use the water that day or week.

Remember the water must be piped in from deep water to be able to use it not go out on the boat with a bucket and pull it up to the surface.

Why can't u just bucket it in from the boat/beach

I have a house on the water and used NSW from my backyard to fill both my tanks. I also do water changes with NSW. Nothing bad has happened yet. Everyone I know that has saltwater aquariums has exclusively used it, but they always warn to only do it during high tide.

I remember reading a post some time ago. Depending on where you are at you can use ocean water. There is no harm in using it if you go to the right place. Where do you Think the corals come from lol. If you are going to use it I would get it a few miles out. On YouTube lafishguy uses ocean water to fill up some tanks.

Can I test the water to know for sure and what tests can I do ?

You can test anything you want to. I would test sg,ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphates, copper, ph. Mag and calcium.

Ok I'm getting two answers will my corals grow in natural sea water?

Jawaits said:
Ok I'm getting two answers will my corals grow in natural sea water?

Yes. Some people that I've talked to have said that their corals have flourished since switching purely to NSW.

Back
Top Bottom