Saltwater... Is it hard??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robo-cop9000

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have freshwater fish tank but I was thinking about switching over to saltwater. How hard is it to maintain a saltwater aquarium. Just wondering thanks. Thinking about getting clown fish.

Alot of people will say its harder than fw when setting up/ building. But easier once stabilized. I personally think that it does involve a good bit of work and dedication, but its more than worth it

The biggest difference in difficulty from what I've seen is that in a fresh water tank most issues can be solved with large water changes and medicating for any sickness is far easier. In a salt water tank large weekly water changes aren't really feasible due to the huge costs of salt and most medications have to be used in a quarantine tank due to how sensitive inhabitants are.

Mebbid said:
and most medications have to be used in a quarantine tank due to how sensitive inhabitants are.
This woukd explain why my flame angel is in a 5g hospital tank being treated, and not still in the 125.

Maybe it's just me but IMO saltwater (well reef anyway) is way harder to maintain. I has fresh water for most of my life and I could litterally not touch the tank for weeks and it would be totally fine. I never did water testing, just a water change ever couple of weeks. My reef takes a bit of maintenance every day and things change way faster. You have to understand the chemistry and how things like calcium, alk and mag effect each other. Manage nitrates, ensure you have safe fish with coral, ensure you have safe coral with other coral. Its WAY more complicated if you ask me. More fun though...:)

I would imagine its like most anything else in life. You get what you put in. If you don't research, you don't listen to good advice, and you don't stay dedicated. It's probably going to suck for you or it's just not a hobby suitable for you. All aquariums, IMO, require basic things. Patience, dedication, time, resources, and last but not least, Money! Be smart and logical. It's okay to get some things retail, but you don't have to get all things like that. I necessarily don't want to get a tank used, for a few reasons. I don't know long it's been setup, where it exactly came from, what's been in it, and if it was abused. Not saying there aren't good, used tanks because I'm sure there are. Lighting you can most defiantly get used or cheaper. Just ask questions and learn! You'll eventually catch on. Don't ask the question "how hard is it," because it can be as hard as YOU make it. Everything in life has to start with a basic principle before it can become more complex. Hope this helps!

Well said Philly. Before I started my salt water tank I did read several books and did a lot of research on what would be my options are. Nonetheless, it is an expensive hobby.

ill be the second to say that its easier to me once cycled and stablilzed and your have your routine down. ive had freshwater most of my life and recently did a sw conversion on one of my tanks and now im going sw with all 4 of my tanks.

fw to me got a little boring after having owned pretty much one of every fish you can get other than discus' and angels. i could also not touch my tanks for weeks and they would stay crystal clear and perfectly stable with IMO was what made it kinda boring after this long.

i did research for a LONG time about 6mo of following threads, starting threads and asking all the dumb questions, reading plenty of articles and write ups on fish, corals, water chemistry, ecosystems and coexsistance of life in a sw tank etc etc. the more you know the easier it will be for you when you actually do the change.

and ill be the one to say, its as expensive as you make it. if you want a 500g reef, get ready to tap into your retirement lol if you want a 125g again be ready to drop some serious cash on serious equipment. but on the other hand if you want a 20g long nano reef, or 40g breeder reef, its very reasonably priced believe it or not, you dont have to go with an expensive refugium or canister setup, its also easier on the wallet if you dont, but to each his own.

im all for sw now and im definitely an advocate for it, ive helped quite a few of my family members startup tanks and a few friends and coworkers as well, and now theyre goo goo for aquaria and theyre really into it. but now pushing for a sw conversion for them lol (y)

So you want a salt water tank awesome here's a short list to help you out

Is it hard? No once you get into the habit of testing and doing water changes. Some one once said it's like a garden "
plant it and let it grow, tend it when it's needed"

Cheapest SW will be a FOWLR this will run you around $10 a gallon no costly lights needed

2 A bit more involved when you add coral, softy's (Zoas, mushrooms and some leathers) can be kept under most T5 lights (A4 bulb system) around $15 dollars a gallon

3 A mixed system of Soft and LPS coral around $ 20 a gallon Time to upgrade those lights. Think MH or LED's

4 A full blown SPS system will set you back around $25 a gallon

Start with a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) just be sure to stock with coral safe fish or you'll need to re-home them

So you want a salt water tank awesome here's a short list to help you out

Is it hard? No once you get into the habit of testing and doing water changes. Some one once said it's like a garden "
plant it and let it grow, tend it when it's needed"

Cheapest SW will be a FOWLR this will run you around $10 a gallon no costly lights needed

2 A bit more involved when you add coral, softy's (Zoas, mushrooms and some leathers) can be kept under most T5 lights (A4 bulb system) around $15 dollars a gallon

3 A mixed system of Soft and LPS coral around $ 20 a gallon Time to upgrade those lights. Think MH or LED's

4 A full blown SPS system will set you back around $25 a gallon

Start with a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) just be sure to stock with coral safe fish or you'll need to re-home them

That is very very helpful. It can be as expensive as you make it. No I dont have a sw tank (yet) the wife doent know but im getting one soon! Like Grizz said, start with a FOWLR first because its waaay cheaper by half and you can test it out and see if your up for the challenge. If so the upgrade your light and research more about corals and lighting. Its all about research. If we dont know who would you ask? But I want a FOWLR too so ill follow this!

Looks like you hit enough support! Myself, I'm starting a 210G reef tank. I'm a part time worker and full time student but I've balanced out my schedule to work for me! If I can go to work at 6 in the morning and then attend from 12 to 8:30 (Every Tuesday and Thursday) then work 10 - 12 hours shifts, then I know you can do it too!

Nemo can survive in a 20 gal tank but you need anemone to make him happy. Anemone is a soft coral and you need all the expensive equipment for it to survive.

jeffaquarius said:
Nemo can survive in a 20 gal tank but you need anemone to make him happy. Anemone is a soft coral and you need all the expensive equipment for it to survive.

Certain species of clownfish can live comfortably in a 20g although alot of members here would advise to go a bit bigger. Look into a 40g breeder tank. Its a decent size and has great dimensions. Also clownfish do not need an anemone to survive. In fact putting an anemone in the tabk does not guarantee the clown will host it. Sure its a very cool natural symiotic relationship, but its not necessary for survival. So dont be worried if you want just the clownfish.

Exactly...clowns do not need anemones to thrive, but it is a cool relationship. As already mentioned, those need proper lighting, so just that one thing adds a lot of expense. You also do not want to add an anemone for at least 6-8 months. They do much better in established tanks.

Yes please dont run out and buy an anemone. That is something that you need both time and knowledge to properly house. They have the potential to nuke your tank if they die.... So obviously i would try to stay away for atleast 6 months

I only enjoy watching my clown when it is hosting an anemone. I got him when I had my anemone all set up and settled in an awesome spot. You have to search for the right clown for the right anemone to host. I would not get a clown if I have no anemone cause you make it boring for him.

Back
Top Bottom