Saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Littleman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How many gallons is my 4ft x 2ft x 2ft I don't know if I have enough salt my hydrometer doesnt move

I was told 120 gallons 453 litres so 15.1kg of salt does that sound right

Half a cup per gallon or roughly a quarter pound per gallon is close but to get it right you'll have to just keep checking and adding until you reach your desired salinity...I just add a half cup for every gallon then add more as I need it

Half a cup per gallon or roughly a quarter pound per gallon is close but to get it right you'll have to just keep checking and adding until you reach your desired salinity...I just add a half cup for every gallon then add more as I need it
I have noticed that measuring salt doesn't always work perfectly for me. I measure the same way but different bags will vary a little. I usually mix a little strong then dilute it. That way it has mixed overnight and I can do a water change without waiting for the salt to dissolve.

Yup, best to use a conservative measure, take readings with a refractometer, and adjust as needed.

Would the next step for me to do be live rock and corals could someone tell me any good books to read my local fish shop knows nothing about saltwater aquariums and neither do I but am very fascinated in them

Everyone's a little different but if it were me id get the tank cyclying (liver rock and sand) and while that's going on pick up the rest of your supplies and equipment..also gives you more time to do research and finish your stock list..planning ahead is the key to success in the saltwater world IMO

Cool I will get some live rock tomorrow as for supplies what would I need, i know I need to focus on lighting for a tank my size what would I need I want anemone so maybe t5 yeah

At 2ft deep you will need strong lighting ideally a 6 bulb T5 maybe with a MH..its always best to get the best you can the first time because trust me if you don't at some point you will so save your time and money and do it right the first time around

As for supplies what kind of filtration system are you planning on first

I don't think that is enough for the size tank you have IMO when going that large a sump/refugium is the way to go which with a little googling you can learn all you need about them

Littleman said:
Cool I will get some live rock tomorrow as for supplies what would I need, i know I need to focus on lighting for a tank my size what would I need I want anemone so maybe t5 yeah

The T5 lamps are good but I would strongly recommend LEDs. For a couple of different reason. 1st reason: The efficiency! The T5 bulbs will have to be changed every 6 months and they are drawing 54watts per bulb! With the size of your tank the T5 6 or 8 bulb fixture with a 250 watt MHL you are looking at drawing a lot of energy and repurchase of expensive bulbs. Reason 2: the heat that is emitted from those lights over your tank will more than likely force you to purchase a tank chiller. Keep an eye on your water temps.
On the other hand, LEDs have a higher upfront cost, but most of the LED bulbs have a 50-100,000 hour lifespan. The heat is minimal in comparison and the penetration of light is great all of the way to the bottom of the tank. So you will be able to position corals more freely. When you are researching LEDs I suggest going with 3 Watt LED bulbs and 60 to 90 degree spreads. The Maxstar LEDs are really nice, but the price is high. There are many different manufacturers out there that will deliver a good product, but stay away from the 1 watt LED fixtures. They are not worth your time and they are not strong enough to bring the colors out of your corals. One more thing, the LEDs have a great controller out there called an APEX. The controller will allow you to do many exciting things with your tank and it'll keep track of your temps/pH/and other attributes about your tank and send the info to your smartphone. The controller also allow a "sun up to sundown" feature, a lightning storm feature and many other great features that you will enjoy. hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom