Sand and Rock questions (again)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Punkroc701

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I am aquiring a 55 gal tank it looks like from one of my co workers who has it in his basement with no intention of setting it back up. Now for my delima/questions. As some of you know I have a 5 gallon that I was originally going to try to set up, until some people on here helped me see I was using to small a space for what I was wanting to accomplish. I have also had help with other questions from a few others and all help, pointers, and advise (as long as it is constructive) is welcome.

Ok so now that my rambling is done on to my questions and delima. I have about 5 lbs of live rock and 10 lbs of live sand in this 5 gallon, I also have some life in there (hermit crabs, emerald crab, mini brittle star) I do not want to remove all the rock and sand from from the 5 gallon to add to the 55 gallon because of my life in there already. I will however have to add it over eventually when the 55 is cured with new sand and rock. How do I go about doing that?

Also I have heard many different things on sand, one being you can get a 10 lb bag and add it to however many other bags of dry (dead) sand and it will work as well as the live sand. Is this true? Does it take longer to cure (I know that it is different on cure time from tank to tank and so forth)? More questions to come as the tank set up starts. As always thanks for the help.

Get 1-2#'s LR per gallon of tank water. Cure and cycle your LR and tank. The life in your LR will populate that sand in a month or so. Don't waste your time with Live sand. 10 #'s of live sand is way less then 10 #'s of dry aragonite sand. after you cycle your tank it's just a matter of moving your 5g to your 55g. Keep in mind that your should at least temp. acclimate before adding them over from the 5 to the 55.

I thought I answered that. I guess it didn't get through. Your lr is cured in your 5g so all you have to do is that after your 55g is cycled just acclimate the crabs and brittle star and move the rocks over, done.,

Last edited:
I Got cha I was just thinking you ment I had to acclamate the rocks too. Sorry I misunderstood. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom