Sand bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFreak1961

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am in the process of starting over my 20 gallon tank to
accomodate a couple of pearly jawfish or 3. I have put down
some crushed coral, rocks then a bag of caribsea live sand
and then some more crushed coral. It is still cloudy after
several days. How long must this go on?? That sand really
stirs up bad. I have the filter running. Should I turn that off
and let it settle or what.

Try doing a PWC to help get out some of the silt.

Jawfish are best 1 per tank unless you have a huge tank so they can have their own territory. My jawfish had 2 dens, each on opposite sides of the tank, and he didn't like when my gramma would come to close. Jawfish are docile, but not with their own species; 1 will be enough for a 20g.

Thanks for the advice! They are busy little guys and you are right about keeping
one I'm sure. It has cleared up a lot over night because I started my new filter
on it. How long should I wait to add Jaws? My sand bed is pretty deep probably
4 inches. Are there any other creatures it will tolerate. I will need cleaning crew.

Wait until you have good, stable water parameters for at least a week (after you cycle) before you add jawfish. Also look into adding come small rubble so he can build a den.

Any peaceful fish well be fine with a jawfish. I introduced mine along with 2 small clowns and they got along fine. My gramma found a hole in the LR above his home and that was the only time I saw any territorial behavior. If the gramma got too close, the jawfish would open it's mouth at him, almost like a cat's hiss; never chased/harmed each other.

drop a raw shrimp in there (you can get them from the seafood section of the grocery store) that'll feed your cycle. When your ammonia goes up, and then nitrite go up, then both hit 0, your nitrates will be high at that point, a 25% PWC, and if it stays stable (ammonia and nitrite at 0) for a week, you are ready to go.

people usually dont add frozen anything to their tanks because of bad stuff being released as it thaws

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom