Sand getting in filter making loud noises

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbirath001

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is my 3rd filter I am running on my freshwater 60 gallon tank. Sand keeps getting into the motor and it makes a loud grinding type noise. Has anyone else experienced this? What can I do to fix this? I used to have 2 Marineland 350's. Now I have a fluval 110.

Here's a pic

Attachments

• image-2271336500.jpg
    image-2271336500.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 108
I have no experience with sand, but I just ordered some for my new tank. I hope someone answers your question! But your tank is beautiful. Love all of the stones!

The sand is getting into the impeller. That's where the noise is coming from. The impeller is grinding up the sand. It will ruin the impeller very quickly. Shut the filter off when ever you do anything in the tank that will stir up the sand, and get it into the water column. Wait for the sand to completely settle before turning the filter back on. You could also raise the intake tube on the filter, or try putting a sponge around the opening on the intake tube.

Beautiful tank! And this used to happen to my HOB filter, what I did is I cover the intake tube with a sponge and instead of the the intake being so close to the bottom where the sand was I took out an extension tube and that helped alot! And whenever I stir the sand up I turn the filter off so the filter wont suck up sand and the sand would eventually settle
Hope I helped

Back
Top Bottom