Sand is green?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have play sand in a 20G tank with plants and the sand is turning green. How can I stop this? I stir it up every week or so.

Most definitely algae. My brothers turtle tank does this due to all the nitrates. What do your nitrates read?

Your 20 G

I have play sand in a 20G tank with plants and the sand is turning green. How can I stop this? I stir it up every week or so.

Hello Fish...

Small tanks are a challenge to get a handle on the water chemistry. It's easy to feed too much and the dissolved food and unstable water properties make for a great environment for all types of algae.

I'd slowly reduce the amount you feed the fish and plants. These small, living things get very little food in their natural living places, and can't begin to use all the food we tend to give them. So, there's extra in the water for the algae.

Keep the water clean. Do weekly water changes to remove the nutrients in the water and feed just a little. I feed my fish and plants a couple times a week tops. That way, the fish spend most of their time looking for leftovers. This keeps my tanks very clean and free of visible algae.

B

Back
Top Bottom