Sand or Gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have heard that sand can be a bit more difficult to clean, but I don't have any experince with it. If you are going to change substrates, you should only do half of the tank and then wait about week to change the other half. This will help avoid a mini-cycle, or at least make it less noticeable.

Sand is super easy, I just go over the bottom (1 inch away) and snatch all the funk up (25%) and once a week I stir different areas up during a 50% pwc. My sand is also less than or just about 1 inch..which. I read was easier.

Sand is the easiest substrate to maintain. It keeps everything on top for easy vacuuming (or if you have enough flow it keeps moving until the filters grab it.).

Pool filter sand and play sand are great! Play sand can have some rough edges though, but that is what we have. Lots and lots of rinsing. I have two 55g one with gravel one with sand and I like the sand better. I am debating switching to sand in both.

anywho... your local hardware store should have both PFS and PS this time of year.

Yes they do, but there is lots and lots of rinsing to get it away. You should rinse gravel too.

Once you get your sand in place make sure you put a plate down before you start filling the tank. This will help to keep the sand from being stirred up. Again this works with gravel as well. I'm so glad someone told me this trick right before we put water in, I think it saved our filter!

Back
Top Bottom