Sand or gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lil_is_me_2001

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wondering what is everyone's perfect concoction of sand gravel fertilisers conditioners etc for their tank , any other things like what plants work well in the set up as well would be appreciated thanks xx

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I believe less is more. The fewer "concoctions" the better.

I use sand, root tabs, and because I only have one 29 gal tank I alternate Flourish and Leaf Zone every other day. I dose Excel every day. Other than that I use Prime to dechlorinate when adding new water.

If I had it to do again, I might use a planting medium, but it's not so pressing a thing as to change out my substrate. As long as I keep up my fert routine, including tabs for the root feeders, and water changes, all is generally well.

Personally if I was going to make a "concoction" Again I would use Floromax and Black sand. Both are black and would blend well together.

Other wise unless it's for aquascaping reasons, I don't like mixing substrates.

The first time I did a mix(Eco complete and fluorite capped with sand) it worked great at first but over time gravity(which I didn't account for) set in and the sand made its way to the bottom and the EC/F is surfacing.

As you can see:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436627740.625632.jpg
It bothers me every day and I'm hoping to replace it soon.

Caleb

I don't like mixing unless they look identical. Can't go wrong with 100% Eco Complete (or Floramax alternative).

Back
Top Bottom