Sand sifting Goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaughterwantsNemo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Gobby has moved all the sand over the hole under the live rock I have provided. It is inside the hole that it has covered. Is this a typical behavior pattern for this fish?

It is a white Goby. All white with a black dot on the fin. I would take another look to see other markings however, I can't see through all the sand.

I have a water change scheduled for tomorrow. I am thinking not to pull out much sediment from the sand bed.

Can you be more specific as to what type of goby it is? There are definitely some gobies out there that burrow in the sand, so it doesn't really surprise me at all.

Looks like the yellow head goby. Without the yellow head, all white. smaller then the yellow head. I have read on some other forums this is similar behavior. They are really cool, just not when they are hiding.

This little guy went to town on my sand when he got in the tank. Unfortunately, he also built a door of sand under a deliberately placed opening under some live rock.

Oh, well. I hope to see him about in the morning. I wish the LFS would have told me that two is better then one when it comes to Goby's. Adding one after another might cause for territorial conflict.

I wouldn't add two of the same kind.. Definitely territorial issues, and a fight to the death. For sure.

Back
Top Bottom