Sand waterfalls a problem for fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryanplaya

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am thinking about trying my hand at making a sand waterfall in a tank. I'd really like for fish to be in it because I think that would be amazing, but, I don't know if it is harmful to the fish. Obviously it is not normal for there to be a continuously flowing sand waterfall in the water. Will fish get accustomed to it? Does the sand eventually mix with the water too much over time and make it difficult for fish to breathe?

If you're not familiar with what I am talking about, you can search "sand waterfall" on youtube and you'll see a few examples. They are really cool. The ones you see on youtube have fish, but that doesn't mean they should.

I am going to try my hand at making a sand waterfall tank even if I choose not to put fish in because I think they are that cool. A nice 30 gallon sand waterfall tank in my office is just what the doctor ordered. I just want to know...fish or no fish...and if so, which ones?

You could make the tank brackish water and then get a few fiddler crabs. They also need access to air though.

Definietely fiddler crabs. You could have the sand waterfall in the water, and then have the crabs just go in and out. That would be pretty cool.

Nils

Would it be enough land/air to just have the top rocky area of the waterfall as the only exposed area? Crabs could climb up and chill there. But, is that enough? I suppose I could design it with a good-sized area up there for them.

I know what you mean, but from my experience, if you have too many crabs, they may wrestle and lose limbs for space. Another option is making an underwater beach for them. Steps listed below:

First, take a dill pickle jar or any other glass jar

Then, submerge half of it in your gravel, but make sure that your jar opening is facing down, like this:

FVW1I9JH4AGKDV4.LARGE.jpg

Next, take an air pump, hose and stone and place it in the jar, like in the picture

Turn on the air pump! There are more instructions online, just look up "underwater fiddler crab habitat"

I'm not sure but you might even be able to buy one.

Nils

The pickle jar habitat is a cool idea.

I think I thought of something that would allow for plenty of space for fiddler crabs with the sand waterfall. Basically, make the entire back wall of the aquarium a waterfall (or multiple waterfalls) and have a 6" space of land across the entire back and just have the waterfall start below water level. Could make the path/ramp to the top ground on side of the tank for the crabs to get there when they want.

Your idea sounds good, but that would be a lot of slate on the back, making it back heavy, so you run the risk of the tank tipping over. The idea of the ramp up the back would be good, and I also like the idea of the underwater island. Keep in mind though that this will be a brackish tank, and you would need to add salt to the water. Another option would be a Figure eight puffer, but you would have to be in check with water parameters and the such at all times. If it were me, I think that it would make a cool turtle tank. Maybe a Musk Turtle, those are pretty cool, and I doubt that it would mind the waterfall. They are hardy and all you would need is a floating dock and some heat lamps.

Nils

I think Fiddler crabs would look great in it. Although I really like the suggestion above with the Musk turtle. I might have to try that sometime myself.

Turtle seems like a cool idea on the surface, but, it took an act of God to allow my employer to give the ok for the waterfall tank and the possible addition of fish.

Thanks for the mention of the back-heavy tank. I did not think of that at all and that is something to keep in mind. See attached image of what the tank will be sitting on. I am not exactly sure what it is, but I can tell it isn't real wood. Think this will be an issue to support a regular fish tank? What about one with a lot of slate for the waterfall look? Would the tank tip if the majority of the weight is distributed to the bottom with just a little weight up against the back wall to make the actual ledge? I feel like if the weight isn't pushing up against the back wall, it could be ok. Thoughts?

Love the figure 8 puffer fish. I had never heard of it, but, looks amazing. I might have to get one for my main tank at home. Hopefully the big fish don't bully it as they are aggressive/semi-aggressive and mostly matured.

Didn't attach pic before and couldn't figure out how to attach in an edit.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 109
The Figure 8 is a brackish puffer and highly aggressive at that. The Figure 8s actually like groups though so you could do a tank with a few of them.

The previous owner of the equipment added salt to the water and I have done the same since taking it over, so adding figure 8 puffers shouldn't be a problem in my main tank as it is already brackish water. How many figure 8 puffers should I keep together?

Depends on the size of the tank. The general rule with groups is at least 3 so you don't have one always beating up the other. 15/individual, an additional 10 per puffer is the rule for them. But that also depends on the footprint and how the tank is decorated.

Just to make sure, it is marine salt being added right? Some people are under the impression aquarium salt is the same thing. Mostly because that's what the shops will say.

I honestly couldn't tell you what kind of salt it is (I'm at work). It's probably just aquarium salt. Thanks for mentioning that.

Well, if it isn't actual wood, I would go for something that you know is actual wood. I'm actually thinking that what you showed us is this kind:

kitchen-cabinets-photo-simulated-wood-grain.jpg

That will rot, and is very easy to crack. I suggest bringing that home and buying or bringing something in from home that can easily hold 500 or 600 lbs. With, slate, water and substrate, you'd be surprised at how much a tank can weigh. Also, check the floor and how much weight that can hold. To be totally honest, I would do maybe a 10 gallon fiddler crab tank in the office, and set up the 30 at home. It would be hard to keep a turtle and fish alive and everything maintained in an office where you aren't thee to look after it 2 or 3 times a week. Fiddlers are hardier and can go a couple days without care. At home, it would be easier to support that weight and find a good spot for it. Sorry I know I type a lot lol! As for weight and slate up against the back, you just might need to set it up straight against a wall so that the tank has something to lean into. I like that idea of basing the weight off the bottom, and concentrating the slate more towards the bottom as well. All in all, I really like your idea with all this!

Nils

That just opened up a can of worms. Lol.

I think you are probably right, and I think the materials are similar to what you showed. Unfortunately, I am stuck with that cabinet. They just renovated the office and will not allow me to bring my own stand so I'll have to make due with that cabinet.

Looking at it and knowing it isn't real wood, I think the 30 gallon tank might be a bit much. Thinking more about it, it likely cannot support the weight. I think you're right and a 10 gallon tank is probably what I'll have to do. That is a little bit of a downer, but you've helped me come to the realization that I really can't go much bigger.

I guess I'll just be happy with my 10 gallon and it will give me practice constructing the waterfall. Given that it will be a 10 gallon tank, it'll probably have to be a fiddler crab tank and I'm totally cool with that.

Thanks for the help ya'll.

Back
Top Bottom