Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toon.inc

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys I just got sand for my tank how many flushes should I do

Until the water that comes off it is clear is the normal test.

Make sure you mix it up constantly though in the bucket to shake loose all the small particles/debris.

Ok all done thanks for that. I'm emptying my tank now ready for the sand

You don't have to empty your tank leave the water in and use a cup to put the sand in and tip it in the bottom it shouldn't make it cloudy. And turn off your filter.

Didn't even think of that but to late wow it was an effort moving tank by myself lol. It's just sand from the garden shop will post pic once in.

All done

Attachments

• image-2062306493.jpg
    image-2062306493.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 126
  • image-1841667040.jpg
    image-1841667040.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 132
Y u jealous of my turtle lol. I would like to get a smaller a turtle I got this one at this size and he just destroyed everything

I started my freshwater aquarium from a turtle I found while working in a creek. I ended up finding a baby painted turtle, bought a 10 gallon tank, and from there moved to a 65 gallon long. I now have 1 cichlid, 2 koi, and the one painted turtle.

I've spent around $1k overall so far all from ONE FREE baby painted turtle I found. Lol

Wow my setup so far hasn't cost me anything more then $400 I built tank myself got filter off eBay good price and yeh guess I just been lucky

Nice. I am pulling my cories due to barbel issues. For now they r going in a glass bottom. I will most likely be putting sand in later. Thanks for the info.

Toon.inc said:
Wow my setup so far hasn't cost me anything more then $400 I built tank myself got filter off eBay good price and yeh guess I just been lucky

I was actually thinking about building my own as well but decided that I'll buy my tank and worry about a build later. I bought my 65 gallon tank, hood w/bulb, stand, under gravel filter, and some decor/plastic plants for around $200. I then bought:

my filter (Marineland dual purpose magnum 350),
about 4 20lb bags of gravel (I like having extra for future projects and/or just in case),
3 5 gallon buckets,
food for fish and turtle,
basking light for turtle,
Basking area for turtle,
3 Live plants,
A few plastic/silk plants,
Driftwood,
300 watt heater,
API Master Test Kit,
Net,
Gravel vacuum,
Prime,
Dechlorinator,
Stress Zyme +,
2 Koi fish,
1 cichlid,
Marineland Double Bright LED hood/light (still yet to arrive).

I also have an LED bubbler from a 3 gallon tank I used to have that I'm using under one of the decors.

I also started off with a 10 gallon long and bought a heater for that as well. I'm thinking of setting that one up and using it as a QT tank. Then I'm also thinking of setting up my tiny 3 gallon half moon tank for something small. But for right now I'm just going to save my money until a later time and work on things little by little.

Yeh that's the way to go. That's what I'm doing with the coral reef I have just being paying a tiny bit each week to build it. I will be doing the concrete on it this weekend.

I also have another tank that is 4x2x2 with two red devils in it. I put it together a few weeks ago. I was thinking of putting sand in it but because the devils suck the rocks up and spit them out I wasn't to sure if the sand would hurt them in any way.

I'm also in the process of building lids and stand for both tank but that will take a bit longer I'm not very good with wood work.

One thing I want to build is a custom shaped aquarium. Something like a long tank to a "tunnel" going to another tank. Not sure exactly what shape and what not but something not common and unique. That's a goal I'll start researching. As soon as I buy a decent house, I plan on building a pond with a walk bridge over it leading up to a gazebo in the backyard.

Back
Top Bottom