Scarlet Badis growing horns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SiberianSiren

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This may be a sick fish question, but I'm not sure. My male scarlet Badis is growing two white hornlike things from his head above his eyes. At first I thought it might be a parasite of some type, so I treated him with paraguard and an antibiotic, but after two days there didn't appear to be any change. He is eating and everything else appears normal. Has anyone else ever seen such a thing?

Scarlet Badis grows horns

This is the best shot I could get of his "condition"
IMG_1542.jpg

Last edited:
Are the 2 bumps uniform in size and distance from each other?

It doesn't look like a fungus, I'm thinking Hole in the head or bacterial infection.

First we need to figure out what exactly it is, before dosing!

For bacterial, I've found the best is Furan 2 and MarcynPlus for 5 days, that treats a whole variety of diseases.

If it's Hole in the head (HITH) Mardel Clout is the way to go.

For fungus, Api Fungus cure is what I use.

Treatment

I don't see a way to diagnose unless it is by process of elimination. I had considered hole in the head. Bumps are uniform in location, but one is slightly larger than the other. This is a particularly aggressive Badis and really should be relocated, so possible he did suffer injury when fighting. The other two males co-exist more peacefully.

Can you put him in a separate tank? Make sure he has clean water and may heal on its own, if it's an injury.

I would look for The Mardel Clout, it treats HITH and other parasitic diseases, I get it off Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom