scarlet badis help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Menagerie. I made the road trip and got more. I ordered six more (they had them priced in groups 3/$8.49) and told him to try and get mostly females. He gave me all female. I hope that is ok. That brings me to 12. Because they are so small, I don't figure I'm overstocked yet. They have plenty of hiding places. I have noticed that since adding the new fish, they are out more (less fearful) and there seems to be less aggression. Everyone seems to be doing great though. Thanks for the heads up. :D

Wow!! I have only seen Badis in one LFS--that's great that you were able to order more! Up here, each Badis badis is $6.99 (@5.25 USD). If the aggression/territorial level stays high, you may want to move them to a 20 gal with more areas to hide in. I am going to up grade my tank soon and have ordered coconut shells from Millipede for a few of my tanks as hiding areas. For the Badis, I only need 1/4 shells. It will keep with the natural wood theme in the tank and if they want to get intimate, they can :wink:

I will eventually upgrade the tank. They are settling in and I'm not seeing as much aggression. They will have more hiding areas when their driftwood finishes it's soak. I do have more lacerock I'm thinking of adding but I'm not sure there is enough room. I'll probably end up redoing the whole tank when I get a bigger one and replacing the gravel for sand. That is ok isn't it? Also, I have some mangrove trees in one of my saltwater HOB filters. I can reacclimate one or two back over to freshwater. Do you think they would like that? Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. :D

I love lace rock, but I believe the Badis prefer wood. Their natural origin is around roots, so a mango tree would be great, but I have never dealt with one--maybe after I upgrade my tank. I am definitely putting in real plants along with fakes this time. My Badis are never at the bottom, so I don't think it matters whether or not there is sand or gravel.

Could you post a pick of your mangrove trees and say were you got them? Thanks!

I'll get a pic of the mangroves. I got them off ebay a lot of 12 for about 5 bucks. Very cheap. They were just seedlings but now have a few leaves and getting nice root systems on them. I think they would love a sandy substrate much better than the large stone I have in there now. I love the lace rock to. Lots of nooks and crannies but if it's wood they like, then wood they will get. I can use the rock somewhere else.

mangroves

Here ya go Menagerie. They aren't much to look at right now but I think they have potential. I've had them for a few months now. When I got them they were just pods with two little roots.

I don't know if it matters but I forgot to mention these are red mangroves. There is a black variety but I dont' remember what the difference is. I checked out ebay and there are a ton of them. Good luck :D

Menagerie said:
Hmmm, eBay!?!? My favorite store! I wonder if I can smuggle them up to Canada.

got some barbie dolls? :D

I tried to get some from that guy and he told me to send him some barbie dolls. Just pop the heads off and in go the seedlings. I didn't go for it because I know how serious can. agriculture is.

Serious garden shops up here carry them frequently, try there.

fluff: Careful acclimating those, they've already rooted and sprouted leaves so they're not going to be able to be dropped in any salinity. You need to find out the salinity they came from or you'll risk losing them. It would have been better to just get some that were un-sprouted. This is the reason that guy sells so many for so cheap. If they came from full strength SW, you'll need to setup a bucket with full strenth SW and slowly bring the salinity down to where you're at. I know this is tedious and time consuming (it may take months), but if you want them to make it you have to do it.

got some barbie dolls?
8O
Wow!! I wasn't going to go to that extreme. I was going to have them shipped to family in the US and drive them across the boarder. They never seem too picky (as of yet).

When I got my seedlings they were in FW. I acclimated them over to SW. I know it will take time to get them reacclimated to FW but it will be a while before I can get the new tank so I have time. I may just get more since the ones in my saltwater tank are doing so well, I wouldn't want to mess that up. Thanks.

Once they're settled in SW I think you're pretty much going to have to wait until they sprout new seedlings =)

of course you could just get more...=)

If I were you, I would separate the badis as soon as possible. They do get quite territorial. My 2 scarlet badis divided my 33G long (4ft) up in half and would chase the other out of their respective territories. I've also heard stories of males killing each other during mating season.

With the addition of more females, the aggression seems to have subsided. No one is chasing each other or nipping. It's actually a pretty peaceful tank. If it gets bad, I'll get rid of some.

Back
Top Bottom