School of dwarf puffers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KyloRen

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was planning on getting a moray eel but im going to wait it out until I can get more space for a larger tank and so I was wondering can i keep 6 dwarf puffers in a 40 gallon breeder? it will be heavily planted with Java moss,Java fern, a mossball, and plenty of hornwort I dont have the best light fixture so hopefully these plants will make it

I don't see why you couldn't. Although if they are with other fish they may be a bit nippy.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Should of be good, the rule I've heard is 5gallon per dwarf puffer. I have a 20 with 2 in it and they stay away from each other. They won't school. They destroy snails though.

I was planning on getting a moray eel but im going to wait it out until I can get more space for a larger tank and so I was wondering can i keep 6 dwarf puffers in a 40 gallon breeder? it will be heavily planted with Java moss,Java fern, a mossball, and plenty of hornwort I dont have the best light fixture so hopefully these plants will make it

I can't see anything wrong with it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I don't see a problem, and I don't see a problem with keeping more either. I have 2 in a 5.5 and even though they still chase each other now and then, they're pretty much fine. A 40b is a huge tank for these guys, meaning you could at least 8 or 9 with only seeing the occasional aggression issue. They do appreciate very heavily planted tanks as they are smart fish and will get bored easily of fake plants that are the same 24/7. Are you going to use root tabs? You could plant a few big swords along the back or in the middle. They don't need light, but they are mainly root feeders so you would need to get some kind of root tab.
IMO, puffers are way easier to care for than what everyone says. I use a filter rated for 2x the water volume, an Aqueon Power Filter 10. Works completely fine for me. OF course I don't use the carbon cartridges because those are a waste of money, I use sponges and Biomax. For a 40b I would probably go the canister filter route, just because they are very good at cleaning the water. They may be a little pricey but for puffers, who do kind of need the better water quality, it is perfect.
Now for feeding. They can be picky, but not with live food. Every fish goes nuts for live food. I feed my 2 live black worms. If you have a big group of them, the most sensible thing to do would be to buy a plastic cone worm feeder, and just put some worms in. Here's one, it's just the first one I found. You could definitely find it cheaper on Ebay or at your LFS.http://www.amazon.com/Lees-Pet-Products-ALE10525-Aquarium/dp/B0002APS3C
I hand feed mine but that would be pretty much impossible with a big group of puffers because you wouldn't know who gets fed and who didn't get anything.
For tank mates the only fish people regularly keep with these guys are otto cats. They are good algae cleaners but IMO should only be added to a tank that is several months old and has lots of algae, or else they will die off or starve.
You should add some hardscape for them as well. They do appreciate some kind of a rock work or driftwood if the tank is lacking plants. Lava rock stacked on top of each other or next to each other in piles makes little crevices and hide holes for them to slip away into. Again, this helps them from becoming bored. If you notice your puffers rubbing their noses against the glass or "glass surfing", this is usually a sign of boredom or they are begging for food. Over time, the puffers will begin to recognize you and always come to the front for food. They are cool fish and will live a long time if you are willing to do the extra stuff for them.

Back
Top Bottom