Schooling fish..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well some grow pretty fast, i had one since sept 09 i got it about 2 inches and in 2010 it was around 6-7 inches and b4 i got rid of it it was 10 inches. so what im trying to say they grow pretty fast if fed correctly

No need to appologize. It's not like you are the one who told me it was ok! Lol. Will it be ok for a while at least? Or should we immediately pass it along? I have no idea what to do with a live fish! I've only had to get rid of dead ones! Will pet stores take them?
IMO, it needs to be re-homed asap. Plecos are pretty quick growers. Many petstores will take trades ins or adoptions. You can call a few stores and see. My PetCo has some bigger tanks where they take in adoption fish and my lfs wil give credit for a lot of trade-ins. If those options don't panout, there is always craigslist. :)

Ok. Thanks for the advise! I do have a couple friends with bigger tanks I can ask. If they don't work out I will start exploring my options!

Ok. Thanks for the advise! I do have a couple friends with bigger tanks I can ask. If they don't work out I will start exploring my options!
Keep in mind that a full grown common pleco should really be in a 125g tank IMO. I have heard 90g recommended sometimes, but I think 125 is better. :)

Ok good to know. I know one of my friends is definitely big enough. But it also made me think of our local library's 10 gal (guessing). They have a Pleco that is probably 3x the size of ours! Poor thing!!

Ok good to know. I know one of my friends is definitely big enough. But it also made me think of our local library's 10 gal (guessing). They have a Pleco that is probably 3x the size of ours! Poor thing!!
Yeah, unfortunately, common plecos are ridiculously hardy so they can often live through aweful situations.

Common Pleco's tend to be to hardy for their own good. They can survive some horrific conditions that cause them to become stunted. A condition which compresses their internal organs. Unfortunately the affects of stunting don't usually show until the damage is done and their life is shortened by several years. The stunting is also painful for them.
So these terrific fish with unending personality end up living short painful lives, due to the ignorance of many a fish store employee.

Absolutangel104 is correct about the 125g tank for a Common Pleco. Many fish sites do say 90g, but that is an absolute minimum. All you have to do is watch an adult CP swimming and you'll see why the 90g just isn't long enough for them.
But in a 125g+ tank, they are awesome to watch swimming, so strong and graceful.

Thank you for explaining. I was curious as to the harm it did to the Pleco. You explained that very well. I will be looking for a new home for him ASAP. :)

I'll take him. I'm currently cycling my new 125! If your willing to ship ill definitely work something out with you.

At this time I'll have to say no. Only because I have NO IDEA how to ship a live fish. If you were local I'd say yes for sure! I'd hate to ship him & end up killing him!

Hi again, just found your thread:p

I would get rid of the Pleco and get some more rainbows:)

Yes keeping only 1 will stress it out, it'll die of lonelyness :( you are right 6 or more will do the trick.

Ive attached a link in your other thread, to a book on rainbows which will help you out some more.

Cheers

Thank you for explaining. I was curious as to the harm it did to the Pleco. You explained that very well. I will be looking for a new home for him ASAP. :)

Thank you for the compliment and for doing right by your Pleco. If you ever get a 125g+ tank you should get a Common Pleco, they're very cool fish.
Our first fish was a Common Pleco, his name was Eddy Fisher. When we walked into the room he would swim to the surface so we would pet him. He was pretty awesome and got us all hooked on the hobby. Since then I've had a soft spot for Plecos of all sizes and I have tried to learn as much as I can about them. I'm no expert, but I try my best to give helpful advise.

I'm not too sure of the kind of pleco. Right now he's hanging out inside the castle so I can't get a pic. I've wondered about his size tho because I've seen some in other tanks that were HUGE that looked just like it. Can you tell me some of the kinds that would fit well? I'll try to get a pic again later. Thanks!

Most likely he is a common pleco. I recently rehomed one because I found out here he would get to big for my 55g tank. Now I have a bn. Very cute too. Toddnbecka here on AA have bn for sale. Check it out if your interested.

Back
Top Bottom