Schooling Plunge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.waffles1842

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So i decided to try a different schooling fish, seeing as how all of my bloodfins died... So what are some good ones for a 20 gallon high? I'm personally thinking black neon tetras (should be black cardinal tetras...) but am open to suggestion.

-Bentosi tetras
-rummynose tetras
-pristella tetras
-cardinal tetras
-ember tetras
-green neon tetras
-serpae tetras
-glowlight tetras
-black skirt tetras
-bleeding heart tetras

Just some ideas :)

+1 on rummynoses, cardinal and neon tetras. The blue, red, silver, back and white colors the offer are stunning.

I love my black neons--larger than neons, hardy, and curious! My mid-level schooling fishes are all over the tank, poking their noses into what's going on.

hmmm... Im thinking serpaes, rumynoses, and gold neon tetras now. Problem is im not sure where i can get rummynoses, dont know much about serpaes (ie, size, water params, compatibility), and gold neons may just be albino neons. Advice?

Everything I've read about serpae's are that they're nasty little buggers. Gold neons appear to be regular neons with a different color, so same care. I hear a lot of good stuff about rummynoses--they're supposed to be pretty hardy and colorful.

Serpaes are not THAT nasty! They just nip eachother a bit and are aggressive toward other whenever they are in small groups ie less than 7

Weelllllll, how big do they get? are they lively? Will they keep their tankmates active? are they compatible with female bettas??? the moer i hear about them, the better they sound. some sites say serpaes get 1.5 in.

They an get about 1.5-2 inches by they may be too aggressive and nippy to be with a betta.

You might be okay' so long as they are I groups of at least 7 as they will mostly be aggressive towards themselves.

If it were me, I would do a single large school rather than several small schools. It gives the tank a more unified feeling. However, some people like 'collect species', which is also perfectly ok.

The only bad thing with serpaes is that they are not really " schooling" fish but they will occasionally if they are frightened.

Gawang said:
The only bad thing with serpaes is that they are not really " schooling" fish but they will occasionally if they are frightened.

I'm pretty sure they are good at schooling. A lot better then my gold barbs which only shoal not school in the mornings. Bleeding hearts, cardinals, emperor, blackskirts, basically all tetras are a decent schooling fish. My favorite would be the bleeding hearts as long as there is a good heart shape on the side. If it looks like a blob then I steer away from them.

Ugh now im confused. Would they be compatible if i got 7 serpaes, and kept them with amano shrimp, nerite snails, a platy, corys, a female betta, and java moss???

mr.waffles1842 said:
Ugh now im confused. Would they be compatible if i got 7 serpaes, and kept them with amano shrimp, nerite snails, a platy, corys, a female betta, and java moss???

Bettas+Serpaes=Nipped Betta

Just sayin'. :)

ugh... ill plop my betta into my bros tank, hes been pestering me for her. so if i wanted, say, 7 serpaes, would they destroy plants???

I don't think so--the only plant eaters amongst the tetras are Silver Dollars as far as I know.

Back
Top Bottom