Scott's 55 gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. I just wanted to confirm with the knowledgeable people before doing it lol.

It still has a ton of flesh and vibrant green rings in the center so I know it's not dead. Just no tentacles in 3 weeks really worries me.

Yea that a long time the Duncan I have was closed for a few days then open with new heads. I think this is my favorite coral

Yeah it's one of my favorite corals too. I moved it to lower light and lower flow.

I noticed this two guys (pipe organ, favite) are outgrowing their plugs on my sandbed. Should I move them to rock to spread or will they spread on the sand? Might be a stupid question.

ux3l.jpg

2hft3c2.jpg

scottayy said:
Yeah it's one of my favorite corals too. I moved it to lower light and lower flow.

I noticed this two guys (pipe organ, favite) are outgrowing their plugs on my sandbed. Should I move them to rock to spread or will they spread on the sand? Might be a stupid question.

Don't feel bad- I lost two heads of torch yesterday for no reason. They just sucked in and gone in 12 hours. Don't know why either. The other part of that torch is completely fine and my other torch which is right next to it is thriving.

I had a torch die in 12 hours too for unknown reasons. It is supposed to be a beginner coral...but it is one I'll be avoiding in the future. I totally need to find myself a branching duncan to go with my bushy one! Everyone loves a duncan.

So hey Scottayy, did you swipe my coco worm, it left home long time now and it must've found your tank a better home LOL.

So hey Scottayy, did you swipe my coco worm, it left home long time now and it must've found your tank a better home LOL.

lol i doubt it, mine was pissed off when i moved a rock. he left his tube and is in the process of growing a new one. it's little still.

Not a lot has been happening.. time to post some updates and ask a couple of questions.

I got a commercial filter sock holder instead of my homemade one. The homemade one would flow out the back of the sump when the sock was full. This one eliminates that problem.

img_2094433_0_b27f8818feafeb68d07bb558cd346d5b.jpg

My duncans seem to be showing signs of life after moving them to lower light and lower flow.

img_2094433_1_1e2cded305b6995cd76b3ba94b32fc2d.jpg

My bubble coral is probably the best grower in the tank! It's getting a lot bigger. I would guess it's doubled in size from when i first got it.

img_2094433_2_275c57529dc6f5c6657eef6b1b115d4e.jpg

And my brain coral is getting big too. Right after I took this picture, it excreted something really fast. I always thought if I caught a coral expelling waste it would be a really slow procedure. But this just shot out a big cloud of something.. going to have to google it. Not sure if it was waste or an attempt at sexual reproduction?

img_2094433_3_f8092a56f9916a349a35c0a1a69d51d2.jpg

Also, does my acropora look good?

img_2094433_4_6f3abcbb71aee54b8c6987f4aa72ec4c.jpg

scottayy said:
Not a lot has been happening.. time to post some updates and ask a couple of questions.

I got a commercial filter sock holder instead of my homemade one. The homemade one would flow out the back of the sump when the sock was full. This one eliminates that problem.

My duncans seem to be showing signs of life after moving them to lower light and lower flow.

My bubble coral is probably the best grower in the tank! It's getting a lot bigger. I would guess it's doubled in size from when i first got it.

And my brain coral is getting big too. Right after I took this picture, it excreted something really fast. I always thought if I caught a coral expelling waste it would be a really slow procedure. But this just shot out a big cloud of something.. going to have to google it. Not sure if it was waste or an attempt at sexual reproduction?

Also, does my acropora look good?

I think everything looks good! But... I don't know what I'm talking about. The zoas in the duncan pic look beautiful! Also- what are the snails in the bubble coral picture? You have alot of them!

Dwarf ceriths are always a good choice. They clean sand, rocks, in the nooks and crannies, under rocks, eat leftover food, devour detritus. They are tiny but awesome workers. I did not mean to get so many, but reefcleaners.org is very generous with their orders. I have probably lost quite a bit due to starving but I try to squirt food along the bottom and a spirulina tab every now and then.

scottayy said:
Dwarf ceriths are always a good choice. They clean sand, rocks, in the nooks and crannies, under rocks, eat leftover food, devour detritus. They are tiny but awesome workers. I did not mean to get so many, but reefcleaners.org is very generous with their orders. I have probably lost quite a bit due to starving but I try to squirt food along the bottom and a spirulina tab every now and then.

They sound cool. I will have to get some!

LOL I just caught my clown trying to host my plate coral! The plate coral didn't like it. I hope he knocks it off!

Back
Top Bottom